Seapine - 1972 F350 flatbed build

Post progress reports on your project truck(s)

Moderator: FORDification

SeapineF37

Re: Seapine - 1972 F350 flatbed build

Post by SeapineF37 »

Lone Ranger wrote:Looking good!! How are you connecting your wires? You had said earlier that you were crimping them and then soldering and heat shrinking. What do you crimp them with before soldering?
Thanks dude. Basically i hate the crimp and seal connectors. Have had too many corrode or make irritatingly intermittent connections that are hard to diagnose down the road (literally... see what i did there :lol: ) so i have come up with the following as my preferred electrical connection system:

Crimp with old school uninsulated connectors (del-city), and then solder the connection, and then heat shrink. Longer process but i've never had one go bad yet! For the bigger cables i borrowed a commercial crimper from a diesel shop near by and then soldered and heat shrink...

Once i have all the wires sorted i will loom them up to protect them.
1972 F350 seapine green cab/chassis drw
only one who has learned much can fully appreciate his own ignorance. louis l'amour
Lone Ranger
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Lone Ranger »

Wow that looks good! Thanks for the info. I bet that takes quite a bit longer but at least it works and looks sharp
1972 f100 4x4 4 inch lift with dump box kit-sold
1969 f250 4x4 highboy in progress.
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=85251
Kyle
SeapineF37

Post by SeapineF37 »

Hey all. Hope everyone is having an enjoyable Memorial Day weekend and thanks to all the members here who have or are actively serving to protect our country! :clap:

Spring was busy so not much posting after the big engine bay project - was mostly just recovering until a few weeks back when my water pump gave out and the old cracked and patched radiator decided to join it by splitting across the top of the core :doh: Overheat was mild as i stopped as soon as i smelled the coolant but can't quite tell hot hot it got as my temp gauge is inop :oops: So my plan to upgrade the cooling system was moved to the top of the to-do list.

Pulled the old stuff including the crap flex fan that the PO had installed and the old water pump and radiator. Used the opportunity to clean up some of the front block that i couldn't get at when i pulled the motor.

The crank pulley has 4 grooves. A twin pulley that runs the alt, a single to the pwr str, and a thrid add on single pulley that is unused. I pulled it and its a fomoco original that looks like add-on as the center hole goes around the center crank bolt washer so it came right off by pulling the 3 outer bolts only. Not sure why it was there as there is no a/c or other accessory and i needed the space for my planned elec fan and shroud...

My plan for the cooling system:
CVR elec water pump (Summit) w/ custom mounting brackets from FEpower
Custom welded fan shroud to attach a 1996 ford contour dual electric fan (from RockAuto)
Alum Radiator (Jegs)
New hoses and belts as needed

After a few days to get everything delivered things went back together fairly smoothly...

Drilled and tapped the passenger side water pump bracket to connect the heater hose (guess most of these are not used on trucks w heat or a/c) which was the biggest pain of the process.

Radiator was a smooth bolt-in. Pretty happy with the initial weld quality from the Jegs Champion radiator. Worked for my budget (was only like $230 compared to the copper replacements) so hopefully it stands up a while. Also it came with an additional cooler which i plan to use for a hydro-boost / power steering upgrade in the future.

Welded up a simple angle iron shorud/bracket to mount/transition the new radiator to the inexpensive yet powerful contour dual fans

Left about 1/8" clearances between the rad and shroud and tight fit between shroud and fans so expecting the cooling to be a major upgrade from the no shroud flex fan that was on the truck.

New pump and hoses connected up nicely and some newly sized napa belts.

Had to use a custom flex hose on the lower rad hose pump inlet is 1.75" not 2" as was the stock water pump hose inlet size. Hoping to source a better hose for this down the line but this worked for now.

Fired up for the first time and fuel started running all over the intake manifold. Guess the overheat got to the holley. Soooo
Ran to Advance for 4160 rebuild kit and replaced front bowl gaskets, metering valve, re-leveled float etc.
Plus added a small fuel manifold to the front of the block for inline 40 micron filter, manual gauge, and spot for sender for when i add a fuel gauge to the instrument cluster...

Back running like a champ :hd:

New fuel tank setup and brake system up next...
1972 F350 seapine green cab/chassis drw
only one who has learned much can fully appreciate his own ignorance. louis l'amour
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by sargentrs »

Looks great!
Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
1987 F-150 XLT Lariat, 5.0/C6 auto.
hfdco4
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by hfdco4 »

Hi, any updates.
Paul
:fr: FE390PC
1970 F250 4x4
2016 F150 4x4 2.7 ECO
Gone 1997, 1999 & 2003 F150 4x4s