My Daughter's 71 F100

Post progress reports on your project truck(s)

Moderator: FORDification

FoPAR
Preferred User
Preferred User

My Daughter's 71 F100

Post by FoPAR »

So I picked up this truck (71 F100) with the intent to flip it and hopefully make a few bucks to spend on my other projects. But my daughter came home and saw it and asked "Sooo whats with the new truck... it's my favorite color so it must be for me right?" I said the first thing any loving father would say... "hell no you already have a truck"...lol (she has a 72 hiboy that we just never got around to doing a body swap on) So her response to that was I'll trade you my hiboy for that one. Wow that's a tuff one considering I paid for both...lol All things fair she did pay half of the hiboy back and I gifted the other half and parts on her birthday. Anyway I asked if she was serious and she said yeah the F100 was really more of what she wanted. So feeling guilty for not getting her hiboy done for her I said yeah and started in making it more road worthy. Here is the only pic I took right after I got it.

So the grill was busted scratched and bent the hood trim the same. front bumper was bent and had tabs welded on top of it. The tires were dry rotted wheels were extremely rusted. Dash pad cracked and busted, seat and door pads ripped. The wiring was a mess and melted behind the alternator. It would start and run strong but not restart. and the hood had really bad rust in the structure. But she loved it so I got to work... Spent a day hunting wires and besides some really strange rewire attempts from previous owners, blown fuses (from said bad wiring attempts...lol) and the melted wires behind the alternator I got everything working. Changed out the alternator and all the wires going to it as well, new ground and power cables, new solenoid, new starter. I also changed out all the heater and radiator hoses along with the water pump. New cap & rotor, spark plugs and wires and it now starts runs really strong and restarts like a champ. It came with a brand new carb and the brakes had been redone already. After that I turned my attention to how it looked. Took the grill and front bumper from the hiboy (don't worry I have a spare set and a plan for it) Cleaned up a set of hood chrome (F100 badges and front trim) painted the F100 badges and the "F O R D" letters across the front and also repainted the "FORD" on the tailgate. The bumper was an ugly rusty step bumper but I had an idea of cleaning it up and coating it with spray on bed liner and then painting the outer edge to match the white on the letters. Looks a lot better and my daughter likes it so that's all that matters. Then I swapped out the ripped bench seat for a nice one I was saving and an almost perfect dash pad I also had tucked away. Replaced the armrest and just cleaned it up. It still needs a bit more help on the interior but it's getting there. The big project just happened over the weekend and that was skinning the hood and replacing the inner structure. Many will question why waste your time with such a rusty hood and I would have been one of them a few years back but the whole rat/rustic rod fad has slowly grown on me and my daughter likes them too. Also we had already fallen in love with the great patina the truck and hood had on it. So I started looking through my hoods and I only had 2 that I could justify cutting up for this project and the hiboy hood was badly dinged and bent on the outer skin and it just so happens that it was the same color on the under side. Ok time for some pic's....

Grill from the hiboy...

Rear bumper and new "FORD" paint.

Hiboy hood

71 F100 Hood

Cut out the inner structure from the Hiboy hood

It didn't take much to cut out the 71 hood so much rust that it all but fell out.

Just a few parts still hanging on...

The big flat area of the hood that are glued to each other were still hanging on really strong so I pored acetone down behind the panels and it softened the glue enough to pull them apart without damaging the outer hood skin.

I scrubbed down the inner hood and hit it with a wire wheel on the back side then coated it with spray on bed liner then did the same to the inside of the hood skin. Then I coated all edges with wieldable primer...

With the spray on bed liner still wet I slit the 2 pieces together and started clamping them down.

At this point I moved everything up onto a makeshift work bench and started pop riveting it together. for this big of part I like to rivet it together to keep it from shifting (clamps can slip or get bumped off) I then spot welded it back up through the old drilled out spot weld holes and left the rivets for the added rustic patch look when the hood is open.

Last thing was to clear coat it and then put it back on the truck.

I drove it to work today and before the hood would bounce at the front corners a good 1/2 inch or more at 60 mph, took it up to 80 and it never moved. I would call that a success!
"FoPar" because I love Fords and Mopars so just call me FoPar... :D
popeyes71
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Re: My Daughter's 71 F100

Post by popeyes71 »

The things we do for our daughters! I'm sure she will enjoy it very much. It was interesting to see the subtle differences between the two hoods inner structure, I didn't realize there was any.
-Popeye-
1971 F-250 4x4 Highboy
1966 Chevy Nova, 8 second 10.5 car
FoPAR
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by FoPAR »

The things we do for our daughters! I'm sure she will enjoy it very much. It was interesting to see the subtle differences between the two hoods inner structure, I didn't realize there was any.
yeah, you don't really notice the differences until they are side by side.
FoPAR
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by FoPAR »

here's what the interior looks like now. I need to put power steering on the truck and then we can find a steering wheel she likes for it as this one doesn't match and is in very poor shape. As for what has been done I put in the bench seat, the arm rest and the dash pad. Painted the gauge bezel and just cleaned everything. The stereo needs to be put in and I would like to find shoulder seat belts for it, and most likely take out the in cab gas tank.

68rookie

Post by 68rookie »

Lookin good!! What's the seat out of and also would be curious to know what your process was painting the instrument cluster bezel?
My goal in life is to be as good a person as my dog already thinks I am!
1968 F-100 Longbed 390/C6
FoPAR
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by FoPAR »

Lookin good!! What's the seat out of and also would be curious to know what your process was painting the instrument cluster bezel?
The seat came with one of my other trucks (my 1972) but it's not original. All I know is it's a latter model ford truck seat as the latch is different on the trucks that didn't have the in the cab fuel tanks. The latch hits the tank so I just cut it off so it won't damage the tank.The cool thing is the seat frame mounting location for the tracks didn't change for 20 or 30 years so there are many bench seats to pick from.

As for painting the instrument bezel I cleaned/stripped it with an acetone wipe down, sprayed the entire thing white with plastic coat spray paint and then taped off everything I wanted to stay white and then sprayed it with black. Touched it up where it needed and painted the "FORD" with silver metal flake by hand.

Thanks
68rookie

Post by 68rookie »

Well it sure looks good!!
67mann
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by 67mann »

:thup: No doubt you got mad skilz....I've seen them but, :hmm: with all them projects sittin around.....do you sometimes spin around in a circle and say WTF :P :lol: 5 yr's ago the only "iron in the fire" was my truck.....Now :doh: I'm not even sure the end is glowing because of all the other chit going on. Your daughter got a nice truck there 8)
I've had enough and I'm not alone
http://s267.photobucket.com/albums/ii304/67mann/
Jacksdad
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Jacksdad »

Nice work :thup:

Love the back story - and I can relate. I bought a neighbor's Baja Bug a little while ago to keep me moving while I switched out the transmission in my daily driver. It was a bright yellow '68, decidedly rough around the edges, and it barely ran/stopped/steered at that point. On the upside, for $800 it came with a recently rebuilt motor, current registration, and practically new tires on Jackman wheels. A couple of days of wrenching and $400 worth of used parts later, and it was a reliable little car. I mentioned to my son - who was 14 at that time - that we should flip it and make some money. When I heard "I don't know, Dad. That would make someone a nice first car", I knew I'd lost it.
At least I have something to bribe him with. Good grades or he gets to warm the passenger seat for life :wink:
1971 DRW F350 cab and chassis with an Open Road motorhome conversion, Dana 70, 352 (originally 390)/C6, PS, power front discs, and 159" w/b.
68rookie

Post by 68rookie »

I wonder what the official name of the color of that truck is......I"m really leaning towards it when I get ready to paint mine.
FoPAR
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by FoPAR »

Post by 67mann » Thu Nov 03, 2016 3:57 am

:thup: No doubt you got mad skilz....I've seen them but, :hmm: with all them projects sittin around.....do you sometimes spin around in a circle and say WTF :P :lol: 5 yr's ago the only "iron in the fire" was my truck.....Now :doh: I'm not even sure the end is glowing because of all the other chit going on. Your daughter got a nice truck there 8)
Lol very much so. To much to do and not enough $$$ to do it all. Always a battle.
Post by Jacksdad » Thu Nov 03, 2016 9:34 am

Nice work :thup:

Love the back story - and I can relate. I bought a neighbor's Baja Bug a little while ago to keep me moving while I switched out the transmission in my daily driver. It was a bright yellow '68, decidedly rough around the edges, and it barely ran/stopped/steered at that point. On the upside, for $800 it came with a recently rebuilt motor, current registration, and practically new tires on Jackman wheels. A couple of days of wrenching and $400 worth of used parts later, and it was a reliable little car. I mentioned to my son - who was 14 at that time - that we should flip it and make some money. When I heard "I don't know, Dad. That would make someone a nice first car", I knew I'd lost it.
At least I have something to bribe him with. Good grades or he gets to warm the passenger seat for life :wink:
Right! I don't know if you saw my other post but the back story is very close to yours..... the last project...

[image]Image[/image]

[image]Image[/image]
Post by 68rookie » Thu Nov 03, 2016 7:55 pm

I wonder what the official name of the color of that truck is......I"m really leaning towards it when I get ready to paint mine.
well it looks like it's called "Swiss Aqua" the color number is 3 on the tag... hope that helps.
Jacksdad
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Jacksdad »

Awesome :D

Looks like yours has at least the same hood and engine cover as ours, and possibly the same body kit. I'm noticing a slight difference in the engine compartment though... :wink:
Jack and the bug.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1971 DRW F350 cab and chassis with an Open Road motorhome conversion, Dana 70, 352 (originally 390)/C6, PS, power front discs, and 159" w/b.
68rookie

Post by 68rookie »

I was gonna guess that was the color!! Thanks, I appreciate it!!