Project 'Smokey' - '72 Ranger XLT

Post progress reports on your project truck(s)

Moderator: FORDification

Bronco_77

Re: Project 'Smokey' - '72 Ranger XLT

Post by Bronco_77 »

That color combo with them wheels is perfect man. Crazy how ever lil piece of trim and emblem changes the looks of a truck.
68 f100 390 3 speed on the collom G maw gave to me G paw drove in late 70s till late 80s
77 bronco 302 lifted 5.5 with 33s and rears cut
69 Mustang boss 302 clone bought when was 14 sold when was 28 to build house
cdnwillyg
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by cdnwillyg »

So Steve did you get the door seals installed yet, how did it go? :? I'm curious to see if the seals you use cause the same issue I'm fighting with....door out about a 1/4" from flush? :hmm: If not then need to know what seals you purchased, mine are from Precision and seem to be to thick....or I can't adjust doors worth beans!!! :lol:
1968 Mercury M250 Camper Special
FE-390,570CFM 4bbl, C6 Automatic, PS, PB front disk.
Stony Plain, Alberta, Canada
:drive:Willy
Bullitt74
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by Bullitt74 »

cdnwillyg wrote:So Steve did you get the door seals installed yet, how did it go? :? I'm curious to see if the seals you use cause the same issue I'm fighting with....door out about a 1/4" from flush? :hmm: If not then need to know what seals you purchased, mine are from Precision and seem to be to thick....or I can't adjust doors worth beans!!! :lol:

Hey Willy! Haven’t started mine yet, but I’ll get started this weekend...picked up my 3M adhesive today. I have the Dennis Carpenter seals, which I’m hopeful will provide a good fit.

Not much happened this week - my 2yo decided to stop sleeping through the night this week, so not a lot left in the tank after a day’s work! :o
Steve F.
Red Deer, Alberta, Canada
'72 Ranger XLT, 4x2, 390-2V, C6, Wind blue & Wimbledon White (‘Smokey’)
8)
2016 F150 Lariat FX4 Supercrew, Ruby Red
Follow my build thread for 'Smokey': http://fordification.com/forum/viewtopi ... 22&t=85070
Bullitt74
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by Bullitt74 »

Didn’t tackle door seals today, but thought I would take on these retrofit shoulder strap seatbelts from LMC truck, as I knew this was a big job and would result in a lot of in and out of the cab, which would probably bugger up freshly installed door seals.

First step was drilling out the mounting holes to 3/8”.

Had to pull the gas tank to get at this bolt.

Couldn’t use the original seatbelt hole...had to move the mechanism up about an inch to clear the gas tank and get it to sit up relatively upright. Needed to fab up a steel support plate (3”x1”) under the cab. I hate not using the original hole, but the alternative is lap belts and eating the dash or steering wheel in an accident.

Final test fit with the original bench...JUST SO clears everything (whew!). That seemed tougher than it’s supposed to be! :o
Steve F.
8)
Follow my build thread for 'Smokey': http://fordification.com/forum/viewtopi ... 22&t=85070
cdnwillyg
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by cdnwillyg »

It is amazing how long it takes to do all the small stuff on these trucks, never seems to end. Nice job Steve! :thup:
I must say that the original seat looks real nice apart from the upper seam failure.
Bullitt74
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by Bullitt74 »

cdnwillyg wrote:It is amazing how long it takes to do all the small stuff on these trucks, never seems to end. Nice job Steve! :thup:
I must say that the original seat looks real nice apart from the upper seam failure.
Thanks for the kind words everyone - it sure does help with motivation on an assembly project that seems simple enough, but can be daunting with life and work commitments! :D

When I bought the truck in 2002, the seat was perfect. I had a Wrangler cover on it, and the seams still failed. Unfortunately this green seat cover will be dissected to build a new one. If anyone wants the remnants to use or match new material, let me know.

The cargo lamp was covered in a grey film - it shined up quite well with 2000 grit wet sand, followed by a shine with the polishing wheel on the drill and white rouge...

I was surprised that the lens was actually glass! This cleaned up quite well, and some red scotch brite cleaned up the inside of the housing well enough to shiny.

A Dennis Carpenter rubber seal finished it off, and had a decent fit with some gentle persuasion.
Steve F.
8)
Bullitt74
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by Bullitt74 »

I booked the glass installers today (Crystal Glass), based on their experience and word of mouth. The brand new DC gaskets were a bit stiff, which can be expected. It was probably good to keep them in the house where it is warm overnight.

It’s true what they say - the stainless does make for a tough job, and took 2 experienced installers 2 hours to complete the job. In the end, I’m very happy with the end result, and money well spent, and they left happy with some of my wife’s baking. :D As my dear old Dad used to say, always keep your contractors happy, and that cup of coffee can go a long way to ensuring a job well done!

Steve F.
8)
cdnwillyg
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by cdnwillyg »

Looking good! :thup: I bet you are loving the new polisher when it brings back the shine to these old parts like it is!!!! :D
hdman90
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by hdman90 »

Wow! Another person who is simply flying through their truck assembly! I wonder where all of you guys find your free time? :doh:
I guess I need to work harder on looking! :lol:
Great work! Keep it up!
1969 F-100 LWB 2wd 240 3spd manual
1969 F-250 LWB 4wd 360 4spd manual
1976 F-250 Supercab LWB 2wd 390 4spd manual
MikeB

Post by MikeB »

Hey Steve
Truck looks amazing. I’m pretty envious. I’ve almost got the burl worked out. Got a good image and Randy is going to color match it with marine teak. Will send you a sample when done.

When you tackle the mirrors Bolt Depot has all the screws and bolts in chrome or stainless and you can buy them at any quantity and it’s still cheaper than Lowe’s. The only two they don’t have is a studded cap nut and the T bolts. Both are easy to make. I’ve done one just waiting for enthusiasm to do next.

Also on your bench seat think about reupholstering it with original xlt design but use black material. Just a thought be easy for your guy to use existing cover as pattern. . Here’s a pic of a red one and gray one.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1972 F250 4x4 XLT stock but P.O. hacked
2010 F350 CC LB 4x4 stock
Bullitt74
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by Bullitt74 »

MikeB wrote:Hey Steve
Truck looks amazing. I’m pretty envious. I’ve almost got the burl worked out. Got a good image and Randy is going to color match it with marine teak. Will send you a sample when done.

When you tackle the mirrors Bolt Depot has all the screws and bolts in chrome or stainless and you can buy them at any quantity and it’s still cheaper than Lowe’s. The only two they don’t have is a studded cap nut and the T bolts. Both are easy to make. I’ve done one just waiting for enthusiasm to do next.

Also on your bench seat think about reupholstering it with original xlt design but use black material. Just a thought be easy for your guy to use existing cover as pattern. . Here’s a pic of a red one and gray one.
Thanks Mike for the kind words and tips! :D I hadn't even thought about the Western Jr Mirror bolts, but after inspection they could use replacement. We have Bolt Supply House and Fastenal here in Canada, so I'll bring the hardware in and try to match it to stainless. The cap nuts aren't in bad shape, so maybe I can polish them or paint them with Cad/zinc paint. I might have some questions along the way, so I'll PM you with those.

Thanks for the pics of the seats - I haven't seen a grey/charcoal one yet, and that's a tempting design to consider for sure. My wife has taken the reigns on the seat design (80/20%), and we will have some mild colour contrast (as opposed to the monotone XLT pattern) and a seat insert that is quite tasteful, timeless and to the untrained eye will look stock. No further details on this, as is sure to be a nice surprise for members here! 8) There are a few design elements we need to work out on it, like double French stitching vs piping, whether to upholster the seat back (probably not), etc.

Looking forward to what Randy works out for you with the XLT wood grain burl (for other members, see the link for context: http://fordification.com/forum/viewtopi ... =6&t=87255 ). Depending on the volume of material Randy wants you to purchase, I am certain that myself and a few other members with Ranger / Ranger XLT's would be willing to help out on costs, as it doesn't take a lot of material to finish an interior.
Steve F.
8)
MikeB

Post by MikeB »

Bullitt74 wrote:
MikeB wrote:Hey Steve

Thanks Mike for the kind words and tips! :D I hadn't even thought about the Western Jr Mirror bolts, but after inspection they could use replacement. We have Bolt Supply House and Fastenal here in Canada, so I'll bring the hardware in and try to match it to stainless. The cap nuts aren't in bad shape, so maybe I can polish them or paint them with Cad/zinc paint. I might have some questions along the way, so I'll PM you with those.

Thanks for the pics of the seats - I haven't seen a grey/charcoal one yet, and that's a tempting design to consider for sure. My wife has taken the reigns on the seat design (80/20%), and we will have some mild colour contrast (as opposed to the monotone XLT pattern) and a seat insert that is quite tasteful, timeless and to the untrained eye will look stock. No further details on this, as is sure to be a nice surprise for members here! 8) There are a few design elements we need to work out on it, like double French stitching vs piping, whether to upholster the seat back (probably not), etc.

Looking forward to what Randy works out for you with the XLT wood grain burl (for other members, see the link for context: http://fordification.com/forum/viewtopi ... =6&t=87255 ). Depending on the volume of material Randy wants you to purchase, I am certain that myself and a few other members with Ranger / Ranger XLT's would be willing to help out on costs, as it doesn't take a lot of material to finish an interior.
That sounds great about the seats. Looking forward to seeing them. Great how your wife is involved. I get funny looks from mine ....I guess that’s some kind of involvement :dk:

I think once you pull the mirrors apart you’ll want new bolts and caps or when a cap shoots off your polish wheel will like a .45 caliber lol.
1972 F250 4x4 XLT stock but P.O. hacked
2010 F350 CC LB 4x4 stock
Bullitt74
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by Bullitt74 »

Double post - deleted :shh:
Last edited by Bullitt74 on Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bullitt74
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by Bullitt74 »

hdman90 wrote:Wow! Another person who is simply flying through their truck assembly! I wonder where all of you guys find your free time? :doh:
I guess I need to work harder on looking! :lol:
Great work! Keep it up!
I definitely gave you the impression I was further along than I actually was...I only did the trim on the one side...so onto the other side tonight.

When putting in pop rivets, get a good riveter...this Stanley brand one was a good investment. Use a full throw to start, then very small short throws until the rivet pops. If you have a lot of throw left, the riveter will want to travel and damage your paint when the rivet pops.

This is the front fastener for the reproduction DC front fender trim. It fits too tight from factory, and needed a trim of about 1mm each side. Forcing it will dent your brand new trim...ask me how I know. :x

A lot of rivets, but this has to be the funnest part of the build! How lucky was the guy on the line that got to pop rivets all day? It’s like eating chips...don’t want to stop.

Sharp rivet stems (?) go in my makeshift sharps container...can you get more Canadian than this?

You have to be careful installing these mouldings rubber retainers...they are fragile.

Done deal...onto assembling doors tomorrow.
Steve F.
8)
crazyhorse
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by crazyhorse »

Mr Bullitt , I am enjoying "Project Smokey" thread.
You have a good looking truck that is coming together rather fast.
I have a red 72 Ranger XLT short bed and I like all the things you have done to your truck.
Please keep the good pictures , information & updates coming.
Thanks again and good luck.