76 F250 Camper Special Tow Rig

Post progress reports on your project truck(s)

Moderator: FORDification

Joshgt87

Re: 76 F250 Camper Special Tow Rig

Post by Joshgt87 »

cdnwillyg wrote:So Josh are you thinking at all of rebuilding your engine or did I miss something as to why you can't? That would seem the the best and easiest route to go and then you know what you have vs another used engine. :2cents:
Yeah I'm pretty sure the block is too far gone. There's 2 cylinders that the the snap ring is missing and the wrist pins dug a groove in the cylinder walls. I'm currently searching for a complete 390 that I can rebuild.
Joshgt87

Post by Joshgt87 »

Manny wrote:
Joshgt87 wrote:Thanks man I'm in northeast Arkansas. I have some buddies looking for me as well. It's easy to get discouraged but I really wanna get the truck going! I love the looks of it! Thanks for the encouraging words!
Plot your course and time to Lawrenceburg, TN. I have a friend there with several fe's that were running decent and should do you fine for drop in or rebuild cores. You may find something close by but will help you anyway I can. How these things get done.. :thup:

Hey man I'm only about 4 hours away from there! Anyway you could get me some more info on those motors? Maybe some pics? I can pm you my phone number if that would help! Thanks so much!
Manny
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by Manny »

Joshgt87 wrote:
Manny wrote:
Joshgt87 wrote:Thanks man I'm in northeast Arkansas. I have some buddies looking for me as well. It's easy to get discouraged but I really wanna get the truck going! I love the looks of it! Thanks for the encouraging words!
Plot your course and time to Lawrenceburg, TN. I have a friend there with several fe's that were running decent and should do you fine for drop in or rebuild cores. You may find something close by but will help you anyway I can. How these things get done.. :thup:

Hey man I'm only about 4 hours away from there! Anyway you could get me some more info on those motors? Maybe some pics? I can pm you my phone number if that would help! Thanks so much!
Yeah sure pm me I know there is several there. One was stove up another running and I’m sure I’m missing one or two.
Just another Ford fool named Dan.
The Junk that hangs around
67' F-250 highboy Camper special cross breed currently under way
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=86706
1974 Bronco 302 3 speed
1984 bronco 302 c6 35's
1994 F350 7.3 5spd dually.
woods wrote: The rust holes in my truck were a factory install (very rare).
Joshgt87

Post by Joshgt87 »

Hey I may have gotten lucky! Looks like a guy I work with has one about 30 minutes from my house! I'm going to look at it tommorow! Thanks man! I'll keep you posted!
Joshgt87

Post by Joshgt87 »

Well I've made a little progress. Very little lol. I got the motor from the guy at work. It's currently at the machine shop along with the heads. I did however order a cam kit and... wait for it.... FUEL INJECTION!!! Whoo hoo!! I'm pretty excited about that! I ordered all new brake components and a fuel tank. While waiting on my engine parts my floor pans came in. I ran around all morning looking for parts for 2 of my buddies welders that they never use, and surprise surprise they were both broken. And with no welder parts available and very bad service and ended up buying one from harbor freight. It seems to work decent. I'm just using it as a flux core for now. I am by no means a professional but I'll post some pics of the progress. I'm planning on going back and putting seam sealer over everything.
Last edited by Joshgt87 on Wed Jul 04, 2018 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Manny
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by Manny »

Looks good got solid metal again! The main thing is your welds are there just keep putting more and more spot welds till you have it all filled in before seam sealer. Seems like it is welding okay just get more spot welds in get it all filled up. Looks great!! What fuel injection setup you get?
Just another Ford fool named Dan.
The Junk that hangs around
67' F-250 highboy Camper special cross breed currently under way
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=86706
1974 Bronco 302 3 speed
1984 bronco 302 c6 35's
1994 F350 7.3 5spd dually.
woods wrote: The rust holes in my truck were a factory install (very rare).
popeyes71
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by popeyes71 »

You didn't like the rare optioned floor vents?? :lol: Just kidding, looks good!
-Popeye-
1971 F-250 4x4 Highboy
1966 Chevy Nova, 8 second 10.5 car
cdnwillyg
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by cdnwillyg »

Right on Josh, keep at her and in no time you will have her back into her glory! Sure a clean looking truck! :thup:
1968 Mercury M250 Camper Special
FE-390,570CFM 4bbl, C6 Automatic, PS, PB front disk.
Stony Plain, Alberta, Canada
:drive:Willy
Joshgt87

Post by Joshgt87 »

Manny wrote:Looks good got solid metal again! The main thing is your welds are there just keep putting more and more spot welds till you have it all filled in before seam sealer. Seems like it is welding okay just get more spot welds in get it all filled up. Looks great!! What fuel injection setup you get?
I'm going with the Fast EZ EFI kit from comp cams. I have a few buddies that work there so that helped influence my decision lol. Plus I have a mustang that has Fast kit on it and have had great luck out of it!
popeyes71 wrote:You didn't like the rare optioned floor vents?? :lol: Just kidding, looks good!
Thanks man!
cdnwillyg wrote:Right on Josh, keep at her and in no time you will have her back into her glory! Sure a clean looking truck! :thup:
Thanks! It's not as clean in person lol but thanks anyways!
Joshgt87

Post by Joshgt87 »

https://photos.app.goo.gl/n3sMwhfvDDcy3WIu2
The drivers floor board is out.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/PThAtS9Hx9cVb85F3
Came home to a ton of truck parts!

https://photos.app.goo.gl/wIMP4hMVbNM7L3oG2
My little girl trying to "click it" I still have some welding to do to finish the pans but they are both in for the most part.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/bg8o3NLNPQjN8X4M2
Got all new pads, hardware, shoes, wheel cylinders, hoses and master cylinder. Just gotta drop the drums and rotors off to be turned Monday morning.

Also the block checked out good and is waiting to be picked up along with the heads. Shouldn't be too terribly long before I can fire it up with any luck!
cdnwillyg
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by cdnwillyg »

Christmas came early to your house, great getting parts showing up at the door!
Wow floor pans in what's next? :clap:
1968 Mercury M250 Camper Special
FE-390,570CFM 4bbl, C6 Automatic, PS, PB front disk.
Stony Plain, Alberta, Canada
:drive:Willy
Joshgt87

Post by Joshgt87 »

This is the stance that I want. I got the picture off of ford trucks forum. Anyone know what kind of wheels those are? And maybe tire size?

https://photos.app.goo.gl/C1JYMyjjiE5SWH4I2

https://photos.app.goo.gl/xrDdTNoFcuEn49bL2

That's the height I wanna go with. I talked to a guy at airbagit.com and they have the I beams and hanger kit to lower it. I'm just hoping it would sit about that height. I know wheel and tire combo can make or break a truck. I love what he's running.
hfdco4
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by hfdco4 »

You are really doing a good job. This will be a great tow rig when you finish.
Paul
:fr: FE390PC
1970 F250 4x4
2016 F150 4x4 2.7 ECO
Gone 1997, 1999 & 2003 F150 4x4s
Gone 1988, 1989 & 1991 Broncs
Joshgt87

Post by Joshgt87 »

I've made lots of progress I will update in the morning. Thanks for the kind words fellas!
popeyes71
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by popeyes71 »

In regards the wheels you like, they look like late model factory Ford wheels; pre metric pattern. I'm unsure of the center caps that are it. Good looking truck!
-Popeye-
1971 F-250 4x4 Highboy
1966 Chevy Nova, 8 second 10.5 car