Some changes to be made here shortly...PLEASE READ!

General website and forum announcements

Moderator: FORDification

FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

Some changes to be made here shortly...PLEASE READ!

Post by FORDification »

Hey all. As I'm sure you'll all very much aware, the forums have been experiencing some problems over the past few months, according to our current web hosts. They say the forums have been using up more server resources than what is allowed, and thus had to move our account to a different server to minimize it's impact on other hosted sites on the same shared server, which in turn has been causing all kinds of problems here.

Well, I've finally said enough is enough....I'm in the process of getting the site moved to a different server, one which is rated a little higher in the business in areas like tech support, features, etc.

FYI: the forums are written in a programming language called PHP. While it's a clean and fast code, it does tend to use a little more of a system's CPU, and once a board becomes more popular, it also tends to use more memory. Our current hosts are saying FORDification.com is using too much of the shared server's system resources, and are suggesting we go to a dedicated server, one which is 100% ours, to eliminate the possibility of our site affecting other sites on the server. Most large sites are set up on a dedicated server....however, I still don't believe we're busy enough to warrant the hassle (and expense!) of a true dedicated server.

However, I am making a slight upgrade to our account, by going to a virtual private server account. This evening I bought a year's worth of VPS service, and will be getting started moving the site and forums over to the new server within a matter of days....hopefully the site will be completely moved over by the end of the weekend.

Because of this, there WILL be a temporary shutdown of the forums while the move itself is taking place. I'll be mirroring the site on the replacement server until I can be 100% sure that everything is up and running correctly, and will then turn the forums back on. I'm doing it in this way to prevent the loss of any forum posts. (If I let the forums continue while I make the move, any posts made during the move would be lost.) I don't know for sure when exactly this will take place, so I just wanted to let everyone know that during the move, you might get a message about the forums being temporarily offline or you'll simply be unable to access them for a short time. If you do see this message, you'll know that the move is taking place and things should be back up and running shortly.

Once the site is at it's new home, I'll be getting started reinstalling all the cool forum mods you're all used to, as well as turning the Photo Galleries back on.

I just wanted to take the time to apologize for the inconveniences you've all had to put up with over the past few months....and to thank those of you who have contacted me with financial pledges toward getting the site moved. At this time, I don't believe additional finances are required. However, if our new hosts also start complaining about the site and forums being too large for our current plan, the only other option to keeping things online is to make the ultimate move to a true dedicated server....at about 10 times the cost of what we've got now. (This is why I'm hoping it's not necessary.)

Hopefully the move will be painless, but in case there's a problem or two, I just wanted to let you all know beforehand what's going on.
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
'67 F-100 2WD SWB ~ '69 F-100 4WD SWB w/7" chop ~ 1975 F-250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
-> Posting and you! <-a MUST watch for all!!
ToughOldFord
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

re: Some changes to be made here shortly...PLEASE READ!

Post by ToughOldFord »

Cool, sounds like needed changes. 8)

We're chatter heads. :evil:

Thanks for all the work you put in here Keith! :fr:
ToughOldFord
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by ToughOldFord »

BTW, some of us have been checking in at the old runboard forums when this one is down.

http://com3.runboard.com/bthefordificat ... m6772fords

Just an FYI in case anyone else needs their Fordification fix during those downtimes. :D
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

i'm sure that some of us including me could do things like not play in the testing area or size down thier pics when posted. or post them on another site maybe. i would and could do anything i can to help in this area. you can dump my photo gallery if you would like it wasn't worth looking at anyway. i'm goingt o post pics on a free site someplace of all of my trucks together for a better show. so to speak.

yea tof i was directed to a goggle site when the forums went down the first time. hees the link. http://groups.google.com/group/FordFanaticsForum
ToughOldFord
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by ToughOldFord »

Thanks Fordman, I'm there too. And John's Truk Crazy forum. We have all kinds of backup. 8)
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

Post by FORDification »

Don't worry guys....the posts and the pictures aren't even enough to cause a blip on the screen. You're doing just fine.
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
'67 F-100 2WD SWB ~ '69 F-100 4WD SWB w/7" chop ~ 1975 F-250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
-> Posting and you! <-a MUST watch for all!!
67merc

Post by 67merc »

Thanks so much for all your hard work :thup:
Becca

69rangerman
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by 69rangerman »

Thanks for the heads up. Funny how a web site can become such a big part of my daily life...then again it is the best around.

My paypal button pushing finger is ready.

Good luck.
"O say, does that star spangled banner yet wave? Oer the land of the free and the home of the brave?" It does at my house! God bless America!
kknip
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by kknip »

Thanks for your dedication to us all.I'm glad you won't have to deal with those morons at the old server any more. :D
Soitenly! Oh,a wiseguy!
You knucklehead!
65 Mustang
72 F250 Camper Special
Tim P.
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Tim P. »

Way to go Keith :clap:
Ford Is The Mountain That The Rock fell Off Of.

72 F-250 Camper Special 390 Stroker 419 CID 420 HP Natural Asp 200 HP NOS C-6 Dana 60 4.10
96 F-150 XLT 4X4 5.8 Heavy Duty 4EOD
SmokeyBear
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by SmokeyBear »

Thanks for all you do for us keith. :clap:
70 F-100 XLT
"Christine" Gone but not forgotten.
72 F-100 Ranger XLT
Dropped 68

Post by Dropped 68 »

Thanks Keith!
hossw71SportC.

Post by hossw71SportC. »

Gev'm Hell Boss
Get-R-Done
71 F100 Sport Custom
99 F250 Powerstroke
67highboy

Post by 67highboy »

Thank-you Keith :D
People who are willing to give up essential liberty to purchase temporary safety, deserve neither liberty or safety...

Ben Franklin 1775
flyboy2610
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by flyboy2610 »

Thanks for all you do, Keith.
Anything I can do, just let me know.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."
Red Green

If you're going to live like there's no hell...............
you'd better be right.
http://theworldasiseeit-flyboy2610.blog ... ee-it.html