A new skin for the forums!

General website and forum announcements

Moderator: FORDification

FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

A new skin for the forums!

Post by FORDification »

Hey all....I've been working off and on over the past week or so getting another skin for the forums, just to give you all a little something different to look at visually. All the same forum mods are included, it's only difference is in it's appearance. The past couple evenings I've been messing around with trying to come up with a forum header, and even though I'm still not totally convinced I'm going to stick with the one that's currently being used on this new skin, I decided that it was close enough to go ahead and do a grand unveiling. :D

CLICK HERE FOR A SCREENSHOT

There ARE a few other subtle differences with this skin....for example, you can search the forums right from the top of each page, instead of having to bring up a separate search page (although you can still click the Search button to bring up the Advanced Search page). Also, there IS a Quick Reply button at the bottom of each thread that must be clicked on to view it, but it's there immediately without having to load the standard full Reply page. There are a few other minor differences too, but everything you're used to using is there.

If you want to actually try it out, just go into your Profile, and scroll down to the 'Board Style' dropdown menu. You'll see 'subSilver' currently selected. Select 'Artemis' from that menu and then scroll down to the bottom of the page and hit the Save button. If you decide it's not your style, you can always go ahead and reset it back to the default 'subSilver' skin at any time.

This new skin will remain available for you to choose from at any time. In the future I might go ahead and incorporate other skins as well as time allows. Let me know what you think.

As of the time I'm posting this, the only thing that remains to be done is to do some minor modifications to the ranking stars under each username in a thread. The star images we're currently using were set up for a light-colored background and don't work very well with the dark background of the Artemis skin. That should be fixed within a day or two. If you do try this skin out, you'll notice that some font colors are very hard to read, but that's just the nature of the beast.

However, there IS one other cool feature about this new skin. When you go to reply to a thread, you'll notice that immediately below the reply box is a link that says "Add image to post". This is something completely different from the normal attachments that you're used to. Clicking this link will bring up a small pop-up window that will allow you to upload an image to PostImage.org, another free image hosting service. While I didn't really think it was necessary to include this feature, I figured WTH....it's just another option you can use if you should want to do so. :D

So anyway....there you go. Have fun playing around with it.
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
'67 F-100 2WD SWB ~ '69 F-100 4WD SWB w/7" chop ~ 1975 F-250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
-> Posting and you! <-a MUST watch for all!!
jhannahokla

re: A new skin for the forums!

Post by jhannahokla »

i think its pretty cool 8)
James
1970 F-100/302/3spd/9 Inc RearEnd 3.50 G/R
Image Watch This BurnOut !
trukcrazy
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by trukcrazy »

I kinda like it. Normally I don't care for change too much, but I think it adds a more updated look to the forum. I will use it for a while and then see how I like it. Good mod keith. :thup: Trying out the posting feature.
John, #424
1967 F250 crewcab x 2.
2010 Dodge Ram 1500 Sport Quadcab
2008 Challenger SRT8
67RED
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by 67RED »

i like it keith good job. thanks
steve
Life is 90% how you take it10% what you make it
dduude

Post by dduude »

:fr: The new background is cooool. Thanks.Dude 8)
rjewkes
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by rjewkes »

so we have choice in what we use? That would be cool unless it would kill the server.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt." - Mark Twain
'70 f250 4x4 Crew cab 460/C6 '72 F100 390/C6 9.8 MPG AVG. '89 Mercury Cougar LS Dual Exh. V6 . 18.9 MPG AVG. In Town.
I don't want to give em a heart-attack. That is what would happen if I answered the door in the buff. Heck it almost scares me to death when I step out of the shower and look in the mirror.~Mancar1~
fuelly.com
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

Post by FORDification »

Yes, you can choose whichever skin you prefer, and it makes absolutely no difference in server usage.

I'm thinking about making the new Artemis skin the new default, so that even the visitors will use it. As it is now, only registered members can. However, the subSilver skin will still be available as an option for registered users.
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
'67 F-100 2WD SWB ~ '69 F-100 4WD SWB w/7" chop ~ 1975 F-250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
rjewkes
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by rjewkes »

cool but we'll need some smileys that'll work with the darker background. Probably just give them a solid background.

Maybe the skin has nothing to do with it but seems everything is loading faster with this one. And the only smileys i see witht trouble or the ones with words on a stick.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt." - Mark Twain
'70 f250 4x4 Crew cab 460/C6 '72 F100 390/C6 9.8 MPG AVG. '89 Mercury Cougar LS Dual Exh. V6 . 18.9 MPG AVG. In Town.
I don't want to give em a heart-attack. That is what would happen if I answered the door in the buff. Heck it almost scares me to death when I step out of the shower and look in the mirror.~Mancar1~
fuelly.com
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

Post by FORDification »

Yep, I'm still finishing up the last-minute details on finalizing the skin install. The emoticon with the bad sign has now been fixed. :fr:
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
71 LONG BED
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by 71 LONG BED »

Cooooollllll!!! I like it, I like it!!! :D It sure takes some getting used too, though.
John Member #1549
71 F100 Sport Custom__________1967 F350 Gone, but not forgotten
Image Image Image
71 LONG BED
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by 71 LONG BED »

The submit and preview buttons are reversed on the new skin. I keep hitting the review instead of submit. :hw: :D
John Member #1549
71 F100 Sport Custom__________1967 F350 Gone, but not forgotten
Image Image Image
willowbilly3
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by willowbilly3 »

I painted my house once and couldn't find my way home for two weeks. :D :D
Great ideas have always encounter violent opposition from mediocre minds.
boots
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by boots »

badasss!!!! :fr:
Ethan

67 f100 - 4"lift - cut fenders - 36 TSL's
390/3spd/9"

68 f250 - 390/np435
Raised d24
'79 dana 60 front
welded 60 rear
buildup in progress
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 835#136835

69 f100- Parts truck
binder56jd
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by binder56jd »

very good addition Keith :clap: :clap: :clap:
"Sell crazy someplace else. We're all stocked up here" — Jack Nicholson, As Good As it Gets

now serving #235

"the only way to believe in the American dream is to be asleep"--GC

How much easier it is to be critical than to be correct. - Benjamin Disraeli
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

Post by FORDification »

I've taken the day off today to get some of this work done to the forums, and am playing around with another skin. Therefore, if you go into your Profile and see a third skin listed (other than subSilver and Artemis), keep in mind that it's probably a temporary addition....and if it IS kept, that it might be a week or so until the necessary mods are added to that skin. You could use it for basic forum features, but it'll be limited. Just an FYI.
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video