Can anyone ID this?

How's your Ford truck parts knowledge?
brownac1983

Can anyone ID this?

Post by brownac1983 »

Hey guys,
I was driving around earlier and when I pressed in the clutch I heard a pop and this thing fell out from under the dash. The clutch still works properly but since this happened it does seem to have messed with the pedal adjustment a bit (engages a little higher). I didn't have much time to look around before dark but but I did a quick check and didn't see anything out of place. Can anybody tell me from memory what this is called and where it fits in the clutch pedal linkage? It's a '67 F-250 4x4. Thanks.
-Drew

jimmy828
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: Can anyone ID this?

Post by jimmy828 »

There is a plastic bushing at the top of clutch rod that the rod inserts to. That might be where it goes. If out,the rod will have more play in it when disengaging the clutch.
tsherry
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by tsherry »

There is a plastic bushing on the bracket that retains the clutch return spring up under the dash. The heavy coil end of the spring fits over that plastic bushing to avoid metal-on-metal contact. That bushing looks to have come off of your truck. You probably have a grinding noise, or will soon, as the metal starts to wear. I had to replace one of these once. Chrome.Plated.Bitch of a job to do.
too many Fords, no where near 'nuff time.

or, money.
jimmy828
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by jimmy828 »

tsherry wrote:There is a plastic bushing on the bracket that retains the clutch return spring up under the dash. The heavy coil end of the spring fits over that plastic bushing to avoid metal-on-metal contact. That bushing looks to have come off of your truck. You probably have a grinding noise, or will soon, as the metal starts to wear. I had to replace one of these once. Chrome.Plated.Bitch of a job to do.
looks like you just might be right. That spring is a hell of a piece to get off. Now i got to take mine back off to put a plastic bushing in if i can find one. :cry: Might opt out for a piece of rubber tube.
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

tsherry wrote:There is a plastic bushing on the bracket that retains the clutch return spring up under the dash. The heavy coil end of the spring fits over that plastic bushing to avoid metal-on-metal contact. That bushing looks to have come off of your truck. You probably have a grinding noise, or will soon, as the metal starts to wear. I had to replace one of these once. Chrome.Plated.Bitch of a job to do.
agreed.
1972hiboy
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by 1972hiboy »

I had to make a special puller to get that spring off the pedals, was not fun, but the puller worked great.
Rich
1973 f350 super c/s 460/c6 22k orig miles
1972 f350 srw crewcab special 390
1972 f250 4x4 sport custom 390fe Red
1972 f250 4x4 custom 360 FE " Ranger Ric"
1972 f250 4x4 custom 84k og miles 390
1971 f250 4x4 sport custom 56k og miles. 360
1970 f250 4x4 428 fe hp60 205 d60
Dont eat yellow snow.....
brownac1983

Post by brownac1983 »

Thanks guys, that's it. I can see the outline of where it used to be under the clutch spring. This should be fun.
-Drew
70_F100

Post by 70_F100 »

If you pull the pedal assembly out of the truck, it's a piece of cake to fix. :D

Been there, done that... :doh:

Edit:

I knew I had a picture somewhere from when I changed my truck from a C6 to a T19:
Clutch Return Spring.jpg
With the assembly out of the truck, you can push the pedal down further than the floorboard will allow, which rotates the attaching bracket around so that the spring just falls off. Put the bushings on, then rotate the pedal back to its original position and reinstall.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools talk because they have to say something.--Plato
Why is it that there's seldom time to fix it right the first time, but there's always time to fix it right the second time???

That's not an oil leak :nono: That's SWEAT from all that HORSEPOWER!! :thup:
brownac1983

Post by brownac1983 »

Wow… that does look like fun. I can't find these anywhere locally for a Ford truck but they do have them for a Mustang, I assume they'd probably be the same thing?
70_F100

Post by 70_F100 »

The DC P/N for them is C1AA-7A630-A
Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools talk because they have to say something.--Plato
Why is it that there's seldom time to fix it right the first time, but there's always time to fix it right the second time???

That's not an oil leak :nono: That's SWEAT from all that HORSEPOWER!! :thup:
pops53

Post by pops53 »

Yep that is your clutch spring bushing, or maybe the pedal bushing broken into pieces.
Do yourself a favor and pull the whole pedal assembly out and replace the bushings on the clutch and brake pedals as well as the
springs. Makes the job much easier. :fr: