Return line ideas

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

DuckRyder

Return line ideas

Post by DuckRyder »

OK someone point out any huge holes in my theory here.

This is the vapor return system which was originally plumped to the charcoal canister. I was originally planning on just tying in here for a return, but with the Y and size reduction I no longer think this is a good idea.

So Plan B.

There is a transfer pipe (for lack of a better term) that goes from the filler to the neck (metal pipe running across the sender.) Now I’m thinking of using a “T” here and returning fuel here. I’ll use a long rubber hose with a T until I confirm it works OK, then have a fitting welded into the metal line and put it back like this with addition of the fitting.

I’ll of course remove the vapor return piping and plug these with a couple HD vacuum caps and aviation sealer. (Of I suppose I could just loop a pice of hose between them.)

Plan C would be to put a return fitting near the sender, but it seems needless to put another hole in the tank to me.

I’m all ears.

See my sorta project thread for other musings:

http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 7&start=30
Robert
1972 F100 Ranger XLT (445/C6/9” 3.50 Truetrac)

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -- Jeff Cooper
Ranchero50

Re: Return line ideas

Post by Ranchero50 »

No. Don't do a top fitting as it'll drive you nuts listening to the gas drain into the tank.

Drill a hole in the tank and install a female fitting and a long length of tubing to the bottom. Weld it to the back of the tank so it doesn't break off if you are ambitious. I did something similar on my diesel conversion. Used the newer 3/8" line for a feed and ran early 5/16" line for the return. Used two stock tubing pieces in the cab so they would look stock and just drilled a second hole through the floor for the return to go through.

'70 F-350 CS Cummins 6BT 10klb truck 64k mile Bahama Blue

Contact me for CNC Dome Lamp Bezels and Ash Tray pulls.
DuckRyder

Post by DuckRyder »

Ranchero50 wrote:No. Don't do a top fitting as it'll drive you nuts listening to the gas drain into the tank.

That is a good point I didn’t think of... :oops:
Robert

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -- Jeff Cooper
DuckRyder

Post by DuckRyder »

OK, my tank is a bit different from that one, there is not as much flat area to install the bulkhead type return fitting, the best place would be approximately the same spot as the pickup on the opposite side of the sender, but that will interfere with the sender float. Due to the welding of the pickup, not enough truly flat space over there... :x

OH, and the sender is out, not nearly enough room for the bulkhead fitting... though if a guy had a welder and flare tool that could be made to work too.

Right now I’m unwilling to pull the tank and have a fitting installed so I’m going to go with plan B for the moment. It does have fairly loud exhaust on it....
Robert

colnago
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by colnago »

DuckRyder wrote:
Ranchero50 wrote:No. Don't do a top fitting as it'll drive you nuts listening to the gas drain into the tank.

That is a good point I didn’t think of... :oops:
Personally, I'd love to hear gas draining back into my tank. As it is right now, I see way too much going out my exhaust pipe!

Joseph
"Sugar", my 1967 Ford F250 2WD Camper Special, 352FE, Ford iron "T" Intake with 1405 Edelbrock, Duraspark II Ignition, C6 transmission, front disc brake conversion.
DuckRyder

Post by DuckRyder »

Well I did manage to get the tank sealed up enough to at least greatly reduce the fuel smell in the cab.

My non-elegant return line fitting is capped...

Robert

colnago
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by colnago »

DuckRyder wrote:Well I did manage to get the tank sealed up enough to at least greatly reduce the fuel smell in the cab.
I was getting gas smell around my sending unit once. The auto shop sold me a tube of non-hardening black Permatex, because it could hold up to gas over time.

Joseph
"Sugar", my 1967 Ford F250 2WD Camper Special, 352FE, Ford iron "T" Intake with 1405 Edelbrock, Duraspark II Ignition, C6 transmission, front disc brake conversion.
Bullitt74
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by Bullitt74 »

DuckRyder wrote:Well I did manage to get the tank sealed up enough to at least greatly reduce the fuel smell in the cab.

My non-elegant return line fitting is capped...
I am very curious to see how this pans out... :thup:
Steve F.
Red Deer, Alberta, Canada
'72 Ranger XLT, 4x2, 390-2V, C6, Wind blue & Wimbledon White (‘Smokey’)
8)
2016 F150 Lariat FX4 Supercrew, Ruby Red
Follow my build thread for 'Smokey': http://fordification.com/forum/viewtopi ... 22&t=85070
DuckRyder

Post by DuckRyder »

Well, it seems like it is at least fuel vapor tight...

I’m kinda wishing sniper...
Robert

DuckRyder

Post by DuckRyder »

Not the best looking but I’m pretty sure it will work OK.
Robert

DuckRyder

Post by DuckRyder »

This worked out plenty fine. Can’t even hear the fuel running back in...
Robert