1965 falcon futura fuel filling problems

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

ismelarat

Post by ismelarat »

Hi, newbie here. I recently became ca-owner of a 1965 falcon futura straight 6 200ci. The other owner is a lady friend. She was going to sell it because when she put on the brakes the steering wheel just whipped to the left, and it did the same when i drove it. I told her thats no problem to fix. Well that's how i became part owner. I've been slowly bringing it back to original state bit by bit. It's a fun car to work on and she's been realy happy the way it's been coming to life, she love's it!
With the way the new gas pumps work it's very hard to fuel in the tank. The large filler neck from the old style leaded pumps is the original neck. So gas spills out unless we can push very hard on the pump nozel to try to seal it. This a rear fuel inlet just above rear bumper. Please is there any sollution for my problem?

Thank You Very Much
basketcase0302
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: 1965 falcon futura fuel filling problems

Post by basketcase0302 »

Jeff
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=46251
SOLD-71 F-350 dually flatbed, 302 / .030 over V-8 with a "baby"C-6, B & M truckshifter, Dana70/4.11 ratio, intermittent wipers, tilt steering, full LED lighting on the flat bed, and no stereo yet (this way I can hear the rattles to diagnose)! SOLD!
Many Ford bumps / one 76' EB / and several dents through the years.
A lot of "oddball" Ford parts collected from working on them for 34 years now!
2008 Ford Escape 4 x 4
Ranchero50

Post by Ranchero50 »

On my '68 fairlane with the bumper fill it works best if I turn the nozzle upside down.
'70 F-350 CS Cummins 6BT 10klb truck 64k mile Bahama Blue

Contact me for CNC Dome Lamp Bezels and Ash Tray pulls.
TheEskimo
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by TheEskimo »

To my knowledge on the Falcons of that time, this is a common issue. Seems most guys relocate the filler to inside the trunk using parts found from a junk yard. Dearborn Classics makes a kit for this, but it is pricey I think at around $250. If you do go the route of getting parts from a local yard for this, I would suggest a filler neck with the little flap in it to help prevent gas from spilling out when you take off from a start with a full tank.
-Jason
1972 F250 Camper Special 360ci
1973 F100 Custom 390ci
1985 Thinderbird 302ci (DD)
68 Ford Stepside
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by 68 Ford Stepside »

There should be a vent tube built into that neck. They rarely get stopped up, but it is possible.If the car sat up for any length of time with the gas cap off, dirt dauber insects could quickly stop it up. :)
"Have A Great Ford Day"