ultraranger
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Re: Shaker Scoop Air Cleaner

Post by ultraranger »

http://youtu.be/iMpXAknykeg

Sorry, Bobby. Had to do it. :D
Steve

1969 SWB F100 Ranger. 240-6, C-4, 9" N-case 31-spline Traction-Lok w/3.50 gears.

1968 Mustang. My high school car. Owned since 1982.

2003 Azure Blue Mustang Mach1.
ximy
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by ximy »

man, that sux... :doh:
1967 f250 428
BobbyFord
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by BobbyFord »

Scott Drake Mustang Parts is really pissing me off.
Latest correspondence from CJ Pony Parts:
"Hello,
I apologize for the delay in replying to you regarding your Shaker on order.
We have just received notice from Drake that it could be “several months” before these will be ready to ship. The explanation we got is the vacuum actuators they were using were all NOS and they are now depleted. Drake is working like crazy on manufacturing their own part based on the NOS one but have yet to complete that process.
At this point you can let us know if you wish to keep the order open or you would like a refund.
Thank you..."

Several MORE months? Are you kidding me?!!! It's already been 7 months. How long does it take to remanufacture a vac actuator???
I asked them to send me the scoop, mid-plate, flapper plate and hood seal, minus the actuator. I'm impatiently waiting for a response. :x
ultraranger
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by ultraranger »

I had warned you (in this thread, back in May) about this company. Evidently they do not stock most of the items they sell. They have some really bad reviews for the very thing you're dealing with right now.

I hope you get your parts and can break ties with them soon.
Steve

1969 SWB F100 Ranger. 240-6, C-4, 9" N-case 31-spline Traction-Lok w/3.50 gears.

BobbyFord
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by BobbyFord »

ultraranger wrote:I had warned you (in this thread, back in May) about this company. Evidently they do not stock most of the items they sell. They have some really bad reviews for the very thing you're dealing with right now.

They offered me a refund. Drake does not sell to the public, you have to go through a vendor. No vendor is going to be able to get it from Drake, either.
I asked them to contact Drake on Friday and ask if I can get the kit, minus the vac actuator. I can fab a vac actuator.
ultraranger
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by ultraranger »

BobbyFord wrote:
ultraranger wrote:I had warned you (in this thread, back in May) about this company. Evidently they do not stock most of the items they sell. They have some really bad reviews for the very thing you're dealing with right now.

They offered me a refund. Drake does not sell to the public, you have to go through a vendor. No vendor is going to be able to get it from Drake, either.
I asked them to contact Drake on Friday and ask if I can get the kit, minus the vac actuator. I can fab a vac actuator.
Yeah, I understand Drake doesn't sell directly to the public. Many of the other parts CJ's sells, where company's do sell direct, seem to not be on the shelves at CJ's either.

Hopefully, they'll get off their @$$ and send you the parts you paid for and that you asked for them to send to you.

I had also mentioned their return policy. Once you get the parts (if you get them), you'll have to act quickly to figure out if it's going to work. I believe they only have a 60 day window for returning parts. After this, the parts are your baby and they won't take them back.
Steve

Ranchero50

Post by Ranchero50 »

Seems they'd be able to use any number of HVAC vacuum actuators. I find it kind of irresponsible that they based a new product off of using 40 year old OEM actuators.
'70 F-350 CS Cummins 6BT 10klb truck 64k mile Bahama Blue

Contact me for CNC Dome Lamp Bezels and Ash Tray pulls.
ultraranger
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by ultraranger »

Ranchero50 wrote:Seems they'd be able to use any number of HVAC vacuum actuators. I find it kind of irresponsible that they based a new product off of using 40 year old OEM actuators.
I also think it's a bit shady to be taking money for components you don't have --an incomplete product.

You finalize the design, produce it in its entirety as A COMPLETE product and then you put it on the market for sale to the general public and/or distributors.
Steve

BobbyFord
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by BobbyFord »

The reason that I got for the vac actuators was that they need an aftermarket actuator that exactly resembles the original in every way. They simply haven't been able to get it duplicated.
Most of these companies like CJ Pony parts are just distributors and drop-shippers with large warehouses. They aren't a manufacturer. They cannot control part availability for a part that ships directly from the manufacturer.
robroy
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by robroy »

Having endured my share of parts makers and/or suppliers taking my cash and not coming through with the goods (both my gauges and my first FE come to mind), I sympathize with you Bobby. 'hard to avoid this kind of thing happening from time to time.
BobbyFord
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by BobbyFord »

robroy wrote:Having endured my share of parts makers and/or suppliers taking my cash and not coming through with the goods (both my gauges and my first FE come to mind), I sympathize with you Bobby. 'hard to avoid this kind of thing happening from time to time.
Yup. Just a time setback, that's all.
Pepper2829

Post by Pepper2829 »

Well??? How did it work out? Get the parts? Finalize the install??
I had thought about doing this, I too like the Torino scoop....just to be different.
I had given up on the idea due to the gap between engine and hood.
My 72 doesn't have a motor in it yet (how I bought it) and your side profile picture gave me incentive to revisit the idea of a shaker scoop.
Ill be using a 429, and with the gap, I think will give just enough room to make an adapter for the offset of the engine.

Short of this, I really like the 71-73 mach 1 intakes......or 71-72 GTS Torino scoop.....either would require cutting up a hood.
My dad had a 70 Cyclone GT with a function hood scoop (429CJ) could work too, probably harder to find though
2013 Ford Explorer Limited
2005 Ford F350 Lariat - crew/short/6.0L
1972 F100 Sport Custom - reg/short 429/C6 crown vic/Explorer rear
1968 Mercury Cyclone GT 390 - in family since new
1954 Chevrolet pickup - 350/T5 mustangII/Explorer rear
BobbyFord
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by BobbyFord »

Pepper2829 wrote:Well??? How did it work out? Get the parts? Finalize the install??
I had thought about doing this, I too like the Torino scoop....just to be different.
I had given up on the idea due to the gap between engine and hood.
My 72 doesn't have a motor in it yet (how I bought it) and your side profile picture gave me incentive to revisit the idea of a shaker scoop.
Ill be using a 429, and with the gap, I think will give just enough room to make an adapter for the offset of the engine.

Short of this, I really like the 71-73 mach 1 intakes......or 71-72 GTS Torino scoop.....either would require cutting up a hood.
My dad had a 70 Cyclone GT with a function hood scoop (429CJ) could work too, probably harder to find though
Just got an email yesterday from CJ Pony Parts, saying the scoop kit is now available.
BobbyFord
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by BobbyFord »

Pepper2829 wrote:...Ill be using a 429, and with the gap, I think will give just enough room to make an adapter for the offset of the engine...
My truck has a 460 with a Stealth intake and I don't have a hood on it yet but I'm reasonably certain that the current air cleaner will not clear the underside hood bracing.
Pepper2829

Post by Pepper2829 »

I was looking on Scott Drakes web page the other day on their kits. They have small block and big block versions (big block kits being 1/2" shorter)
Does any know the distance between the carb and hood on a 69/70 Mustang?...to compare to the F100

Your truck looks sweet btw
Did you use 70's 460 perches or conversion mounts? If conversion mounts, which ones? recommend them?
Thanks
2013 Ford Explorer Limited
2005 Ford F350 Lariat - crew/short/6.0L
1972 F100 Sport Custom - reg/short 429/C6 crown vic/Explorer rear
1968 Mercury Cyclone GT 390 - in family since new
1954 Chevrolet pickup - 350/T5 mustangII/Explorer rear