valve cover leackage

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

Slash801

valve cover leackage

Post by Slash801 »

hey guys,

I am from Germany,so sorry for the "broken english"

At the moment I am looking after the engine oil leakages because I have to stopp this issue for getting the license in Germany...
There was definitely a leakage from the valve covers so I will start here to get rid of it and then I will see the result...because maybe I have more problems.

First question would be, is the oil mud ok?
The oil bore in der head was blocked, i opened it now!
second action from my side is to fill in a cleaning agent, run the engine 200km and fill up new oil....
The thing is I dont want to overhaul the engine now, maybe next winter....

second question is, does s.b know what crazy kind of screws are in the exhaust manifolds, I mean the little squeezed pipes?

thanks alot
Matthias
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
DuckRyder

Re: valve cover leackage

Post by DuckRyder »

The "oil mud" aka sludge is not good obviously, but it isn't horrible and as long as the oil returns are not blocked and the engine is oiling properly it won't hurt anything.

I would be careful about running cleaners as it may cause more trouble that good.

The tubes bent over in the exhaust ports is where some one has removed the AIR system (smog pump) or replaced the heads with smog heads.
Robert
1972 F100 Ranger XLT (445/C6/9” 3.50 Truetrac)

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -- Jeff Cooper
HIO Silver
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: valve cover leackage

Post by HIO Silver »

Oily sludge is typically the result of infrequent oil and filter changes coupled with short trips where the engine never really gets hot enough for the oil's detergents to work.
70 F100 LB 2WD, 360FE, E-Street EFI, TKO-500, 76K original miles.. follow my rebuild: The Lo-Buck Bumpside
71 F250 LB, 2WD, 360FE, T18, PS, PB, D60 with 4.11s
73 F100 SB 4WD, 390FE, NP435, +4 on 35s

01 Ferrari 360 Spider F1
01 F150 SuperCrew Lariat 4WD
01 PT Cruiser Limited (DD)
68 Mustang
65 Mustang