Throttle Linkage Springs_____'71 F-250 360 2 Barrel Carb, C6 Auto Trans

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

clue_less-250

Throttle Linkage Springs_____'71 F-250 360 2 Barrel Carb, C6 Auto Trans

Post by clue_less-250 »

1971 F-250 360 2 Barrel Carb, C6 Auto Trans

Need help hooking up springs correctly.

Picture shows two springs hooked up from throttle linkage towards coil. The wider spring is hooked up to a bracket that is bolted to the coil. It has two consecutive holes, it's hooked on to the hole furthest from the cab and hooked up to a knob on the throttle. The second spring is also hooked up to the throttle, but on the other side it is hooked on to the steel fuel line. This doesn't seem correct. I have been looking at the following diagram http://www.fordification.com/tech/image ... e_8cyl.jpg

This shows the wider spring hooked up to that bracket. But the other spring appears to get hooked up somewhere towards the cab. I can't seem to find a hole for connecting it. Anyone have the same truck that can show me how to connect these springs correctly.
Capture.JPG
Thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
colnago
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: Throttle Linkage Springs_____'71 F-250 360 2 Barrel Carb, C6 Auto Trans

Post by colnago »

I have a 4BBL Edelbrock (installed by the PO), so mine is a bit different. I removed that entire stock cantilever setup, because it looks like something Rube Goldberg came up with. I have a single linkage from my throttle linkage to the carb, and a single return spring to the rear of the engine (so my throttle pulls on the bottom of the carb linkage, and the spring pulls on the top of the carb linkage). But assuming you want to keep it stock:

- The top spring in your photo shouldn't be wrapped around a knob. It should be hooked to a hole on the bracket (or, from the diagram, to the carb itself). From the photo, it looks like it might need to go where the bottom spring goes.

- The bracket with the two holes next to the coil looks like it is mounted upside-down. The holes should be on the top, and it looks like they're on the bottom in the photo.

- The bottom spring looks way too long. It also looks way too new. And it shouldn't be hooked around the fuel line.

- Is there a hole on the intake manifold underneath the bottom spring? From the diagram, it looks like a much shorter spring goes to an L-shaped bracket (9741 in the diagram) that is next to the carb, or maybe mounted directly on the carb.

Do you have either spring attached to the throttle bracket on the carb itself? Can you take a photo from the side?

It's been a while since I've worked on the throttle linkages, and I don't have a stock system anymore, but I hope my ramblings help.

Joseph
"Sugar", my 1967 Ford F250 2WD Camper Special, 352FE, Ford iron "T" Intake with 1405 Edelbrock, Duraspark II Ignition, C6 transmission, front disc brake conversion.
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: Throttle Linkage Springs_____'71 F-250 360 2 Barrel Carb, C6 Auto Trans

Post by sargentrs »

One spring pull sthe throttle linkage forward, the other spring pull is backwards. Doesn't really matter which one's which. The important thing is that you install the springs in the straightest line possible with enough tension that neither direction maxes out or causes the spring to totally collapse. Tension should be about equal with maybe the spring that pulls the throttle off being slightly stronger. You want it to let off as soon as you let off the gas pedal and require a little pressure against the gas pedal to get moving. There should be a delicate balance between the two to override any potential "sticking" of the linkage one way or the other. Also, when letting off the gas pedal, you don't want the throttle plates to slam shut too fast as this will result in choking the engine down. Some carbs use a dashpot to lessen the effect of this. The forward pulling spring is usually the one hooked up to a dedicated bracket on the forward location of the intake manifold, like the bracket attached to your coil bracket (as colnago mentioned, it looks upside down in your photo) or the left most spring in that tech page photo. The rearward pulling one is usually attached to a bracket at the rear of the manifold and hooks into a hole on the throttle "trapeze" at the rear of the engine, like the center spring in the tech page photo. If no brackets are available, any hole/bolt will do, just try to keep the spring as straight and in line as possible.
Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
1987 F-150 XLT Lariat, 5.0/C6 auto.