Power steering fluid

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

Timd

Power steering fluid

Post by Timd »

Ok so I ordered my new pump and my question is, on these new pumps do I still run type F in it or just regular fluid?

Thanks
1969 Ford F100 Custom Cab
HIO Silver
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: Power steering fluid

Post by HIO Silver »

Type F....

70 F100 LB 2WD, 360FE, E-Street EFI, TKO-500, 76K original miles.. follow my rebuild: The Lo-Buck Bumpside
71 F250 LB, 2WD, 360FE, T18, PS, PB, D60 with 4.11s
73 F100 SB 4WD, 390FE, NP435, +4 on 35s

01 Ferrari 360 Spider F1
01 F150 SuperCrew Lariat 4WD
01 PT Cruiser Limited (DD)
68 Mustang
65 Mustang
SeapineF37

Post by SeapineF37 »

Since the first question is answered... i hope this isn't considered a hijack but...
does anyone know if the type F is necessary for the pump or the box or both?
For example, if you change the pump to a saginaw style pump which specs dextron III do you switch power steering fluid for the pump of stay F for the box? What if you mix the two? Oh man...
1972 F350 seapine green cab/chassis drw
only one who has learned much can fully appreciate his own ignorance. louis l'amour
SeapineF37

Post by SeapineF37 »

HIO Silver wrote:Type F....

HIO Silver. Thoughts? Thanks. Wanted to make sure you saw my post above...
1972 F350 seapine green cab/chassis drw
only one who has learned much can fully appreciate his own ignorance. louis l'amour
HIO Silver
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by HIO Silver »

SeapineF37 wrote:
HIO Silver wrote:Type F....

HIO Silver. Thoughts? Thanks. Wanted to make sure you saw my post above...
Excellent question... :clap:

In that case, I'd spec the PS (hydraulic) fluid to the pump rather than the steering gear since it is the pump producing the pressure.
zergyo-71

Post by zergyo-71 »

I've been using Mercon V and/or Mercon LV on both the power steering pump and transmission for about 7 years now with no problems.
DIXONBOY

Post by DIXONBOY »

Mine was leaking so bad I put 5w30 in it. I didn't have the money to fix it and you got to do what you got to do to get by. That was ten years ago. I was young and poor. I think I eventually had to use 15w40. I ran it like that for about three years before I got rid of it. Didn't want to steer very well when cold but once it warmed up it was fine. Those things are tuff. Wouldn't recommend it though lol.
fastEdsel
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by fastEdsel »

I use International Harvester "Hy-Tran" in leaking power steering. Not sure what is in the product but it seems to bring the old seals back to life and works very well in any weather. I put 20 gallons of hydraulic oil, Type F, Mercon 5 you name it through the power steering of my old 930 Case tractor in the last 25 years and I put 1 quart of Hy-Tran in it 2 years ago and it is still going strong. But Type F is for Ford's. I run it in my FMX's and Borg Warners.
Nitekruizer
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Nitekruizer »

A game with words? I thought it was kind of funny once I figured it out. The dipstick for the power steering pump in my '70 Mercury calls for Type F. As far as I know, it's still the original pump. The power steering pump in my '69 Bump says "Use Approved Fluid" on the dipstick. That pump came from a '76 Dentside. When I did a bit of research, it turns out that the "approved fluid" for that pump is Type F too. It makes you wonder why they didn't just say so. :lol:
390 FE IN A "BUMP" / 383 WEDGE IN A 2 DOOR C-BODY / 351W IN A FULL-SIZE MERCURY / 194 CHEVY 6 IN A DUECE / 2.4 DOHC CHRYSLER IN A PLASTIC BUBBLE (Driver)