cleaning engine?

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

grnf100

cleaning engine?

Post by grnf100 »

Carb is off currently getting a rebuild. I noticed a lot of grease/gunk sitting on top of the block (below the carb was sitting). I think it is from carb leaking. I would like to clean that up a bit. What have you guys used in the past to clean the engine and engine bay up in the past?

I know to avoid water at electrical connections, wrap carb/distributor in plastic bags. Is that basically it? Get some type of degreaser from Advanced Auto, give a spray, let it sit for a bit, then spray with water to rinse? May repeat if necessary. Maybe even run a few minutes to warm engine to help loosen up grease beforehand? (warm engine=NOT hot engine)

Thinking of going to carwash. (after carb is back on) They normally have warm water (help break up) and only use on the low spray power. NOT FULL BLAST!

:fr:
Ranchero50

Re: cleaning engine?

Post by Ranchero50 »

A gallon or two of kerosene, a kiddie pool and a box of 1" chip brushes from Harbor Freight. Cram pool between front tires with the back higher than the front. Use brushes and kerosene to loosen, wash all the trash into the pool. Dip out the kerosene and reapply until the engine is clean.

If the paint come off, spray it down with brake clean and respray it.
'70 F-350 CS Cummins 6BT 10klb truck 64k mile Bahama Blue

Contact me for CNC Dome Lamp Bezels and Ash Tray pulls.
69Ford
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by 69Ford »

Please don't ask how I know this. DO NOT use a petroleum based degreaser above a blacktop driveway. It was a $500 dollar mistake for me. The damage happens right now.
1969 Ford F100 Styleside standard cab 360 C6
HIO Silver
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by HIO Silver »

Instead of plastic bags, I use aluminum foil to wrap the dizzy. The carb too if it is installed.

Foil molds to the form and is really difficult to blow off with a high pressure washer. Try it, you'll like it.

I use the least caustic emulsifier first... Dawn dishwasing soap and a parts cleaning brush. Then move on to kerosene or odor free mineral spirits. Sometimes I get OCD and pick at the crap with plastic picks, plexiglass, stiff tooth brushes, etc.
70 F100 LB 2WD, 360FE, E-Street EFI, TKO-500, 76K original miles.. follow my rebuild: The Lo-Buck Bumpside
71 F250 LB, 2WD, 360FE, T18, PS, PB, D60 with 4.11s
73 F100 SB 4WD, 390FE, NP435, +4 on 35s

01 Ferrari 360 Spider F1
01 F150 SuperCrew Lariat 4WD
01 PT Cruiser Limited (DD)
68 Mustang
65 Mustang
Lone Ranger
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Lone Ranger »

I power washed mine a few times and used a cheap engine degreaser probably 5 different times. Scraper for the really thick places. All underneath too.
1972 f100 4x4 4 inch lift with dump box kit-sold
1969 f250 4x4 highboy in progress.
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=85251
Kyle
PetesPonies

Post by PetesPonies »

You are making much more of this than has to be made. I wash engines all the time and I wrap nothing. I've been doing it for 40 years.
Pete's Ponies
Mustang RUSToration & Performance
Lone Ranger
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Lone Ranger »

I've never wrapped anything either I'm just more cautious around top of the carb and electrical when power washing. It all needs washing tho.
1972 f100 4x4 4 inch lift with dump box kit-sold
1969 f250 4x4 highboy in progress.
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=85251
Kyle
MadJoe

Post by MadJoe »

PetesPonies wrote:You are making much more of this than has to be made. I wash engines all the time and I wrap nothing. I've been doing it for 40 years.
I'd have to agree here, I've had my fair share of Fords and none have ever had water related electrical issues the way I've seen with GMs and Dodges over the years. I remember one day I drove my '79 Granada through an enormous puddle that was stalling all the other guy's cars. Well, thankfully my oil rings were bad (who ever thought that'd be something to be thankful for?), because a solid stream of water was shooting out of the tailpipe (and just as much was squeezing into the oil pan). I guess I'm lucky it didn't hydro-lock, but that dang distributor never skipped a beat. Did have to change my oil, and eventually the rings gave out completely and smoke-screened a RI State Trooper on RT4 (he approached my window and asked "How'd you even see me back there?"), but never had an issue with spark.

That said, I'd still probably throw a tin foil coat over my distributor before running a power washer over it.
1971 F-350 DRW SWB Stake Body
360 FE
C6 transmission
OEM disc brakes
OEM power steering
Dana 70 4.10 rear end
1guydude
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by 1guydude »

I just forgot to tighten my hose.clamp on my fuel line going into.my carb. Bam..motor degreased. Lol. 1 thing less i have to do.
Gotta get the motor.to where it will boil the fuel.if ur brave enough.
I changed that.line so no.more hose.clamps.

Plz dont do this
-d
2008 bmw 528i
1967 ford f100
2014 vw tiguan
2016 kawasaki 250f
2015 KTM rc390
2014 audi tt Quatro s
Braaaaap!