Aluminum radiators

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

Tevesh

Aluminum radiators

Post by Tevesh »

The rad on my '67 is leaking pretty badly so I've been looking online for an aluminum rad. Found several that say they're a direct fit replacement but they all have 1 3/4" inlet hoses and I'm pretty sure my stock rad is 2". FE engine. Anybody know if I'm just missing something or if my truck is just weird or something. Or are all the manufacturers putting the wrong size inlet on their radiators? Thanks.
DuckRyder

Re: Aluminum radiators

Post by DuckRyder »

I have a Griffin and the bottom hose is 2"...
Robert
1972 F100 Ranger XLT (445/C6/9” 3.50 Truetrac)

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -- Jeff Cooper
Bigjimdaddy

Post by Bigjimdaddy »

I bought one on eBay for 156 that was aluminum it fit perfectly it had the 2" bottom outlet
Tevesh

Post by Tevesh »

I'm talking about the top hose not the bottom hose.
DuckRyder

Post by DuckRyder »

My top hose is 1 3/4".

The OD of the hose is right at 2", but the OD of the inlet and ID of the hose is 1 3/4".
Robert

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -- Jeff Cooper
Tevesh

Post by Tevesh »

So I loosened off my top rad hose and measured. It's definitely 2". Is that something that changed on later year FE engines? Can I just swap thermostat housings to one with a 1 3/4" outlet or will that not work with my '67 intake? Thanks.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
DuckRyder

Post by DuckRyder »

Is this truck a 100, 250, 350, 2wd or 4wd and supercooling or not...?

I would think that the correct upper hose would mate with the correct radiator... (that looks like a universal hose, possibly because it has the wrong radiator)

I will try to measure the thermostat housing on mine tomorrow...
Robert

Tevesh

Post by Tevesh »

'67 F100 V8 2wd 4-speed. The size of the rad is correct for the standard cooling not the heavy duty. Remanufactured engine in it that I think is a later model 360. It has D2TE-AA heads on it. The intake manifold is the correct '67 one though. The outlet from the thermostat housing is 2 inch as well.
DuckRyder

Post by DuckRyder »

I cannot really get a good measurement on the water neck at the manifold, it is definitely larger than the radiator.

Looking at NPD's catalog there does not appear to be a specific radiator for 67.

Again, it looks like your upper hose is a universal flex hose, I'd buy the proper radiator and the proper moulded hose(s).
Robert