Adjusting manual choke

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

stang1986gt

Adjusting manual choke

Post by stang1986gt »

I have a 69 F100 with a bone stock 390 engine with original manual choke. When I push all the the handle all the way in, the butterfly is still not standing straight up and down. I thought that the only adjustment was either at the cable where it attaches to the butterfly linkage, or at the top of the butterfly rod where there is a spring and a very small nut. When I attempted to adjust it at the top of that rod the first time the rod broke, so I found a NOS and replaced it. Only problem is I can screw that nut until it's almost all the way off and it still isn't right. My cable is routed just like those I've found in other pics. Is there another adjustment that I haven't mentioned?
jimmy828
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: Adjusting manual choke

Post by jimmy828 »

If you have a aftermarket breather housing, the lever could be hitting the bottom of housing when the lever is moving. That is if you are trying to adjust with the housing on carb.
stang1986gt

Post by stang1986gt »

jimmy828 wrote:If you have a aftermarket breather housing, the lever could be hitting the bottom of housing when the lever is moving. That is if you are trying to adjust with the housing on carb.
No I have the stock air cleaner. I've since learned that I can adjust it where the outer cable attaches to the bracket on the side of the carb. Once I get a chance I'll check it out.
Fordforlife69

Post by Fordforlife69 »

Im assuming the same on the 360 with factory breather?
Mach428
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Mach428 »

The adjustment is at the end of the cable to choke lever. Loosen the cable where it connects to the choke lever; push choke knob on dash all the way in; open choke place to complete vertical; tighten choke cable to lever screw