3G help needed

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

mulletmobile

3G help needed

Post by mulletmobile »

I am in the process of this upgrade and running into some fitment issues. I can not get the dang thing into place no matter what I do. I have the high mount alternator and the alternator is wedged in between the mounts and the head. And I mean it is wedged. It stays in place without a bolt holding it there. It pushes out the upper adjustment bracket and just sits there. Taunting me! I removed some off the back of the bearing boss, but it is just not enough.

So I am reaching out for help. Has anyone else with a 360/390 FE platform had the issue and how did you solve it? Secondly, if any of you have the low mounted alternators will you please take a couple of pics and be willing to send them out to me? I will take them here on the post or I can provide you with a cell number or email for you to send them to. I am especially looking for any part numbers you can see stamped on them. I am knee deep in this right now including the upgrade to the RCCI converted ammeter to a voltage meter in the dash. Until I can solve this riddle, the truck is DOA and the boy gets his license in about 2 weeks. I either get it fixed or he gets my Fusion and I am walking...
1971 F-250, Wimbeldon White, 360, PB, dealer add-on A/C (A.R.A. brand), 1970 coded interior (23 - Med. blue/Light blue) with 42,000 miles.
67mann
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: 3G help needed

Post by 67mann »

http://fordification.com/forum/viewtopi ... =8&t=13062

I'm sure you already researched this in electric but, if you didn't....lot of useful info. I used one from a 92 Taurus/sable and the only fitment issue's came with the CVF set up

project is still in storage..... :hmm: I might have had to shave a little of the casing but, nothing that big

No guru just sharing how mine went
I've had enough and I'm not alone
http://s267.photobucket.com/albums/ii304/67mann/
zergyo-71

Post by zergyo-71 »

I used a alternator from a Taurus, too. I believe it was a 95 Taurus. I just had to re-clock the alternator so the connector wouldn't be right next to the exhaust. Other than that, it went in pretty easy!
cpuchalski

Post by cpuchalski »

Using the original brackets, but changing the mounting hole on the adjustment arm, I was able to make mine work by clocking and slightly clearancing the case. I also went with belts a little longer than my originals in order to swing the alternator closer to the end of it's adjustment range. Still plenty of adjustment left.

How is your belt alignment, can you use a longer spacer on the bottom bolt to bring the alternator forward?

mulletmobile

Post by mulletmobile »

C, thanks for the pic. Any chancy you can read the part numbers on your brackets? There are two that look like yours from what I have seen and I just want to make sure that if I go that route I get the correct/similar one to yours. I have to get some pics uploaded yet tonight. My lower bracket is different than yours which may help out in the install and clearance issues too. I am working on obtaining some low mount brackets as I really like that it puts the alternator away from the heat of the head and exhaust manifold area. I will get some pics up to show what I have in comparison to yours though.

On a side note, I picked an alternator today that is damned near new from a 96 Taurus 3.0L engine. Although it looks and measures the same, when I took about an 1/8" of the back of the boss, it fits like it belongs there. I do not want to get it too far out on the side as I have AC and will be adding PS soon so the ability to run a dual pulley on the alternator is gone. For now I will be good once I get a longer belt as the one I have is too short.
1971 F-250, Wimbeldon White, 360, PB, dealer add-on A/C (A.R.A. brand), 1970 coded interior (23 - Med. blue/Light blue) with 42,000 miles.
cpuchalski

Post by cpuchalski »

I might have a photo on my phone that shows the adjusting arm part number, I know it starts with C6AE - it came off my 66 352.

The belt I used was a Napa part number 25-7455, I believe it was a 46" belt when measured on the outside circumference.

Corey