Pulleys for adding power steering

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

Ohiotinkerer
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Pulleys for adding power steering

Post by Ohiotinkerer »

I'm planning on adding power steering to my bump with a 360 and I'm trying to sort out the pulleys I need. Right now my setup is a double sheave on the crank and alternator and a triple on the water pump since it had a smog pump that I removed. I plan on replacing the w/p pulley with a double sheave since it runs 2 belts on the alternator and I don't need the 3rd for the smog pump and from what I am looking at on the part number pages I need a C8AZ-6A312-B for the crank and a C8AZ-8509-A. Am I on the right path and is there any differences in the P/S pulleys that I need to know?..... :?
"Life is a garden - dig it"........... :thup:

1968 F100 2wd - Rangoon Red - 360 w/T18 - power steering and brakes
1997 Honda CBR 900RR
My427stang
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Re: Pulleys for adding power steering

Post by My427stang »

I can try to check a number off mine today, but there are two options for 3 groove pulleys, all 3 grooves the same size, or the PS up front larger than the two alternator belt grooves. I believe the second style is off later model (73+)

That being said, I'd go to any 68+ FE and see what it has for lower pulley, if it has 3 grooves, start there. Overdriving the pump is really only an issue if you have a high rpm engine

As far as the two groove water pump pulley, it's a very nice setup if you don't like looking at the extra groove from your air pump. I'll look and see what I have but I think I am out

BTW, remember the PS pump is driven directly off the crank, with the pump being the adjustment
71 F-100 SB 4x4, 461 FE, Edelbrock Pro-flo 4, 4 speed, 4 inch softride lift, all poly bushings, integral PS, most mods installed since the 80's
70 Mustang Sportsroof 489 FE, EFI, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11s
Engine building by-appointment only--30+ years, specializing in strong street pump gas FEs
Ohiotinkerer
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Re: Pulleys for adding power steering

Post by Ohiotinkerer »

Thanks for the info! I thought I was right in thinking the p/s ran right off the crank from what I've seen - I scored the bracket off eBay with all the original bolts and that's when I saw how they adjusted. As far as rpms its staying stock so I'm happy to have that info also. If you happen to have the w/p pulley let me know!.... :fr:
"Life is a garden - dig it"........... :thup:

1968 F100 2wd - Rangoon Red - 360 w/T18 - power steering and brakes
1997 Honda CBR 900RR