Need advice removing thermactor unit 1967 f100

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

Carb

Need advice removing thermactor unit 1967 f100

Post by Carb »

Hi all,

I am in the process of removing the thermactor emissions from my 352 1967 f100. I have two questions:

1.) the tubing goes into the back of the carburator. How do I deal with it? seal it off with some sort of plug or?

2.) I am going to seal off the existing thermactor plug screws with some type of epoxy. What do you recommend?
colnago
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: Need advice removing thermactor unit 1967 f100

Post by colnago »

I guess the first question is, what are you doing with emissions stuff on a '67? I'd love to help (I have a '67 352 F250), but don't understand the question. More info, please.

Joseph
"Sugar", my 1967 Ford F250 2WD Camper Special, 352FE, Ford iron "T" Intake with 1405 Edelbrock, Duraspark II Ignition, C6 transmission, front disc brake conversion.
Ohiotinkerer
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by Ohiotinkerer »

I just finished taking the last of mine off so maybe I can help. I'm guessing the tubing you are talking about is the vacuum line that ran to it - a rubber vacuum cap on it from your local parts store to put over it will take care of that. The holes that are going into the head where the air tubes went got plugs from my local NAPA put in them - that's how us old guys fixed that back in the 80's. I can post a couple of pics if that would help you out....... :thup:
"Life is a garden - dig it"........... :thup:

1968 F100 2wd - Rangoon Red - 360 w/T18 - power steering and brakes
1997 Honda CBR 900RR
Carb

Post by Carb »

colnago wrote:I guess the first question is, what are you doing with emissions stuff on a '67? I'd love to help (I have a '67 352 F250), but don't understand the question. More info, please.

Joseph
Hi Joseph,

Mine was made in California, so it had the thermactor unit. I have since removed it and am looking to plug the holes left by the tubing going into the manifold. I am thinking about putting high temp jb weld into the compression nuts that were there originally to plug the gap left by the steel tubing.
Carb

Post by Carb »

Ohiotinkerer wrote:I just finished taking the last of mine off so maybe I can help. I'm guessing the tubing you are talking about is the vacuum line that ran to it - a rubber vacuum cap on it from your local parts store to put over it will take care of that. The holes that are going into the head where the air tubes went got plugs from my local NAPA put in them - that's how us old guys fixed that back in the 80's. I can post a couple of pics if that would help you out....... :thup:

Thank you, yes I was able to cap off that line. Napa doesnt carry the plugs anymore so I am thinking about putting high temp jb weld in the gap left by the tubing.
Ohiotinkerer
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by Ohiotinkerer »

The plugs must be something that not all of them carry - ours had them last week when I bought them. If this helps they are 1/2-20 threads. Just my preference to put screw in plugs - less of a chance of developing a leak later on - JB Weld isn't as good a product as it was when I was younger. You could also use set screws with some loctite if you can find them in that thread size. Also forgot to ask this - does yours also have 2 ports in the vacuum advance? If it does take the rear line off and cap it off also - it was more pollution control they put on them to make it retard the timing at cruising speed and isn't needed........... :thup:
"Life is a garden - dig it"........... :thup:

1968 F100 2wd - Rangoon Red - 360 w/T18 - power steering and brakes
1997 Honda CBR 900RR
colnago
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by colnago »

Carb wrote:Mine was made in California, so it had the thermactor unit. I have since removed it and am looking to plug the holes left by the tubing going into the manifold. I am thinking about putting high temp jb weld into the compression nuts that were there originally to plug the gap left by the steel tubing.
Mine was made in California as well, but somewhere along the line it got converted from a 2BBL Ford intake to a 4BBL Ford intake. The only open port on the manifold goes to the C6 transmission. The front port on the carb goes to the PCV valve, the rear port goes to the brake booster. You should be able to find a threaded plug at an auto parts store to replace any threaded fittings for plumbing. You can also get rubber caps from the auto parts store for any carb inlets (I did that for one of the vacuum ports for the distributor). If you don't have a brake booster, and/or don't run your PCV valve to the carb, you should also be able to find threaded plugs for those as well. If possible, use threaded plugs rather than JB Weld.

Joseph
"Sugar", my 1967 Ford F250 2WD Camper Special, 352FE, Ford iron "T" Intake with 1405 Edelbrock, Duraspark II Ignition, C6 transmission, front disc brake conversion.