pre 64 fe mounts in our trucks

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

mouse
Preferred User
Preferred User

pre 64 fe mounts in our trucks

Post by mouse »

something is not right with my motor mounts. I have a pre 64 390 fe with i6 perches on a 68 frame, I moved the perches to the back holes on the frame. the motor mounts dont sit flat on the perches, driver side is at the top and passenger side is center of its hole. the passenger side of the motor seems to sit high and forward of the drivers side. it sitting forward may be due to the driver side mount being bad. the transmission and driveshaft carriage is forward about a inch of there bolt holes. the perches on my old frame were twisted up with no blots holding them down, could only get two in the drivers side and one in the passenger side. so now that I have good perches I need to figure out how to get this motor to sit in here correctly and what mounts to use. :?

1971 F100 sport special 390 fe
1993 F250 4X4 ext-cab 6.9 idi
69Ford
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Re: pre 64 fe mounts in our trucks

Post by 69Ford »

There are three holes on the left side of the frame. From front to back. The first to holes are used for the power steering engine perches. The second two holes are for nonpower steering perches. The middle hole is used in both applications. The most likely reason for the hole cut into your left hand perch is because someone along the way converted your truck to power steering without replacing with a power steering perch and cut it to fit the power steering gearbox. In mid 1969 ford made all trucks with the power steering perches. As for Pre 1964 FE's I don't know if somebody makes perches for them. Not sure what i6 perches are. Also the power steering perch will give you more clearance on that exhaust header as it is canted forward. This link should help. http://fordification.com/tech/powersteering.htm
1969 Ford F100 Styleside standard cab 360 C6
69Ford
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by 69Ford »

As I'm looking more into this. The left has two sets of holes in frame. The front holes are for power steering trucks the back holes are for none power steering. Four holes instead of three mentioned above "I was going off memory getting old". Your exhaust header is hitting a nonpower steering perch. After a closer look at your pictures you may have to replace your exhaust headers with ones that fit. Going by the upper picture a power steering perch will not fix that.
Last edited by 69Ford on Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mouse
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by mouse »

I was going by a different artificial that was stating different bolt holes for the I6 vs the fe and what the I6 refers to is the 240/300 inline 6. Im swapping frames and the vin stated this one had a I6. I move the perch to the back holes and made that notch to clear the power steering box of my other frame. was looking into it some and I think Im going to make adapter plates to use the latter mount.

http://www.fordification.com/tech/engine-perches.htm

mouse
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by mouse »

I was going over this info on purchase some more. the conclusion I have come to is that the I6 and fe can use the same mounts but take separate bolt holes. when it come to the fe and the newer steering box, there is a special perch for the drivers side that uses mix I6 and fe holes. thanks for pointing that out :thup:
69Ford
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by 69Ford »

If this helps here's a pic of a power steering perch for the FE. Using the front set of holes. And a pic of a none power steering that my dad ground into to add power steering.
PS Perch.JPG
My Dad1.JPG
mouse
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by mouse »

If you can get the bolt hole spacing measurement between front and rear set off a newer block, that would be helpful to make a adaptor plate. the newer blocks got added bolt holes yet still retained the pre 64 bolt holes for the motor mounts.
mouse
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by mouse »

this is what I came up with to move the motor back a inch and a half. these are the adapter plates I made for now and will get some thicker ones made latter. I can now install the drive shaft in the correct location.