My '72 left me sitt'n!

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

Woodys72

My '72 left me sitt'n!

Post by Woodys72 »

How humiliating.My 'good 'ol'72 302 bump side left me sitting along a busy highway.Had to call my 75 year old pop to come rescue me in a Nissan.I was sure my original fuel pump had failed.She ran out gas with 3/4 of a tank.After a parts run,and a few trips to a gas station,we figured out no fuel was coming out of the tank.I could hook up a long piece of fuel line,and blow into the tank,but no fuel would come out.Mysterious to me.Finally pop blew into the filler neck,and it partially unclogged.Enough to get me home.How can I blow into the tank's line,but no fuel would run back out?Venting? Anyway my 'ol girl is back in my driveway,and I'm not mad at her.Thanks for any ideas guys.
markguiver

Re: My '72 left me sitt'n!

Post by markguiver »

Sounds like the filter screen on the end of your tank pickup tube is clogged. I'd start by pulling the pickup to clean/replace the screen. If the screen is plugged I would drain the tank and clean the inside of the tank. You can do it yourself or take it to a radiator shop and have them tank it. If there is no screen on the pickup then there is debris that is large enough to plug the tube floating around in your tank. Might want to take this opportunity to go through the whole fuel system.
Mark.
1975 F-250 4X4 (The Beast)
1971 Bronco Sport
Woodys72

Post by Woodys72 »

Thanks Mark.There is always some rusty silt collecting in the canister filter on the pump.I run another filter between it and the carb,but I'm afraid the original tank is pretty rusty inside.Well,it's time to learn how to remove the tank and see if it's worth cleaning.I've put off replacing the fuel line,so this will be a good time to get that done as well.Thanks Mark,that sounds like that could be it.
Woodys72

Post by Woodys72 »

I've got to tell you guys this .While I was sitting along the highway waiting for pop,a couple of kids came by in a jacked up chevy 4x4 ,rebel flags flying,and a pretty nice toned exhaust.They slowed down like they were going to help,reved the engine and shook there fists at me like the red baron,and took off with a rebel yell.I've laughed about this all weekend.
Ranchero50

Post by Ranchero50 »

That's funny. Of course when you see them with the hood up, be sure to stop and help them out. Humility is a pretty big pill to swallow and the look on their faces will be priceless. One of the better parts of aging is when I see these kids in a ratty early 90's truck mouthing off I'll casually mention that I used to part out nicer looking ones back in the day.

Oh yeah, fuel pickup is soldered into the tank and the tube is soldered at the bottom. A few month back, a member had random intermittent fuel starvation problems and eventually found the disc seal to a bottle of additive in the bottom of the tank. Figured it kept covering the pickup.

If you have rust, pup the tank out and give if a GOOD cleaning.
'70 F-350 CS Cummins 6BT 10klb truck 64k mile Bahama Blue

Contact me for CNC Dome Lamp Bezels and Ash Tray pulls.
colnago
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by colnago »

I agree with cleaning the tank of debris. That is the most likely cause. But a second possibility that I had is the PCV valve. Check your oil. If it's milky, it could be fluid in your crankcase. In my truck, this was enough to keep the mechanical fuel pump from working. I changed PCV valves, made sure it was routed to the intake, and everything cleared up again.

Joseph
"Sugar", my 1967 Ford F250 2WD Camper Special, 352FE, Ford iron "T" Intake with 1405 Edelbrock, Duraspark II Ignition, C6 transmission, front disc brake conversion.
Woodys72

Post by Woodys72 »

A big thanks to everyone. I syphoned the tank today.I got between 7,and 8 gallons, the fuel gauge was correct.Interseting about the foil seal.I hope to have the tank out,and have a good look tomorrow.The gas was cleaner than I expected,but I did see a little dirt or crud,on the side of my syphon hose.The outside is clean.I found some copper line that is very close to fuel line diameter.I think I'll probably find a problem at that pickup tube,and if need be,I'll see if I can make a new one with the copper line.Thanks again everyone.
tsherry
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by tsherry »

Make sure you change all of your rubber fuel lines. The 'inner' part of the hose can separate from the nylon reinforcing, and it can suck shut on suction, but on the outside, it looks fine.
too many Fords, no where near 'nuff time.

or, money.
FritzC

Post by FritzC »

This also happened to me, aside from being rescued and some mean Bullies shaking their fists at me. That is funny BTW. My tank was full of rust. Been sitting for 7 years and the guy I got it from said he cleaned it out but when. had the pickup for 2 weeks. I was lucky. I would sit for about 8 minutes and enough fuel would trickle into the fuel filter and I could make it another mile. LOL. Took me 45 minutes to go 5 miles. Not once did anyone attempt to pull over and help. I would post a pic but I'm new here and too dumb to figure it out.