radio cutting out with new plug wires

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

takehikes

radio cutting out with new plug wires

Post by takehikes »

I put in a HEI style distributor (CRT Performance?) and new wires that they supplied. Radio now cutting in and out so I'd like suggestions for some wires that would solve it without breaking the bank.
1968 F100 SWB Flareside, 240-6, 3 speed, 3.70 rear, bone stock and rust free.
Lone Ranger
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Re: radio cutting out with new plug wires

Post by Lone Ranger »

Is there a condenser on it? Seems weird. What if you tried your old wires with the new distributor and see if it still cuts in and out.
1972 f100 4x4 4 inch lift with dump box kit-sold
1969 f250 4x4 highboy in progress.
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=85251
Kyle
Mispeld

Post by Mispeld »

The old wires won't work with hei. I just installed an HEI with Duracrap wires from autozone last week and have no problems with my radio. Google "ford radio capacitor suppressor" they seem to go missing over the years. They are hooked up next to the voltage regulator if I'm not mistaken. Are you talking about static or a whine? Or the radio just turning off? Those are two seperate issues. The hei could be drawing too much amps if connected to the same curcuit. Measure the voltage going to the HEI while engine running and ensure you have 12+ volts. Did you upgrade from points? Points has a resisted voltage of about 10v. I connected a dedicated relay to the hei to ensure full voltage to the distributor and doesn't affect the rest of the truck's wiring and voltage. Do a search on relays. Cost me under $15 and gives me piece of mind knowing my ignition is properly wired and dedicated to its own power source.
Mispeld

Post by Mispeld »

Also it kinda makes sense... the radio turns on when the ignition is on "run." Thus potentially sharing the same curcuit.

Wire the HEI on a relay.

I mounted it next to the solenoid. I used the ignition wire side of the solenoid to power the relay when the ignition is on, and basicly ran the full 12+ volt from the battery side of the solenoid to the relay then to the dizzy. Grounded the relay wire. It works the same as a solenoid. My hei gets a solid 13-14 volts while the rest of the truck gets whatever... You'd be surprised how much voltage drops on these things. This is all assuming your problem is the radio turning on and off.

My future plan is putting relays for the headlights. Well, after brakes, fuel tank, kingpins etc.
takehikes

Post by takehikes »

I previously had an HEI in the truck with a different set of wires and zero issues. Radio is fine when engine is off.
Wires that came with this one are 8mm but must be cheap and have no suppresion for the radio. Going to move up to some better wires and see if that cures it.
1968 F100 SWB Flareside, 240-6, 3 speed, 3.70 rear, bone stock and rust free.
Mispeld

Post by Mispeld »

I would check to see if you have the radio suppressor. It looks just like a points condenser. Like I said, they go missing or maybe yours failed.

I have cheap autozone 8mm wires that I'm running and I have no problems.