can't find correct radiator

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

PetesPonies

can't find correct radiator

Post by PetesPonies »

'71 F100 with a 240 ci, nothing fancy. The stock radiator is still in the truck. Core is just a bit under 18" tall, but about 20 wide, I see 18 x 18 core radiators, but don't want to go smaller. I can't ind one that the core 20" wide. What have others here found?
Pete's Ponies
Mustang RUSToration & Performance
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: can't find correct radiator

Post by sargentrs »

Not exactly sure if they're all workable, I've never gotten a wrong part from RockAuto, but they offer a couple of different rads besides the 18x18. http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/ford ... iator,2172
Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
1987 F-150 XLT Lariat, 5.0/C6 auto.
PetesPonies

Post by PetesPonies »

Been there and most other sites. They have nothing that is exactly the size of my stock FOMOCO radiator. 52K original miles, it's the original radiator. Bought the truck from the original owner ,etc ,etc.
Pete's Ponies
69Ford
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by 69Ford »

What is wrong with the radiator in the truck. Can it be recored or fixed at a radiator shop if one still exists in your area.
1969 Ford F100 Styleside standard cab 360 C6
PetesPonies

Post by PetesPonies »

It has just begun to seep. Yes, it certainly can be recored. I'd probably go three row if I do that, was just trying to find a new one to compare in price. I know recoring will cost more. I did manage yo find one place hat seemed to have the correct radiator. It was 17 x/x" tall core, by 19 7/8" wide. That nails it. Unfortunately it was ridiculously expensive and they gave NO parts number for me to seat and look elsewhere.
Pete's Ponies
69Ford
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by 69Ford »

1969 Ford F100 Styleside standard cab 360 C6
PetesPonies

Post by PetesPonies »

That one is not even close to the dimensions I gave and has the inlet on the wrong side as well ??
Pete's Ponies
PetesPonies

Post by PetesPonies »

I have a '79 with a 300 as well. It had the same tiny radiator originally in it. I replaced it with the 26" wide version, no problem. had to trim the opening on one side, piece of cake. But this '71 doesn't have that option, not leaving it look stock anyway. The OEM overflow bottle could be moved, but there are two supports on the radiator support to the inner fenders that limit the radiator size width wise. Removing those supports are not something I want to do, keeping it as stock as possible. The truck now has 52K original miles.

Pete's Ponies
Clunker

Post by Clunker »

Are you wanting to upgrade to an all aluminum one, or do you want to stick with the stock type? If you live anywhere near Eastern WA, I have a solid original one from my 1970 F250 that just needs the top hose fitting to be re-soldered. That being said, I put a thick all-aluminum one in, and I would never go back to the copper one. I pulled a 1,000 lb load up an 8-mile 7% grade in 95 degree heat, and the truck never broke a sweat. I got an American Eagle brand (ironically, made in China) off ebay a few years ago. It's only a 2-row core, but very thick. If I remember correctly, it is not the exact stock size, but the mounting holes are the same. Good luck.
1970 F250 CS: 360, RV cam, Edelbrock Performer 390 intake, Holley 600, headers, Pertronix II, Flamethrower coil.
Darren

Post by Darren »

Is that a factory overflow?
"Do it now, or wish forever that you had."