Centrifugal Advance?

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

69-er

Centrifugal Advance?

Post by 69-er »

This is probably gonna be a dumb question as I have very little experience with Fords.

On a 67 240, does the distributor have centrifugal advance? All I see is the base plate for the points and condenser and where the vacuum advance linkage attaches to that. Is it underneath? I haven't had a chance to investigate further. I've never seen a distributor w/o centrifugal advance.
Ranchero50

Re: Centrifugal Advance?

Post by Ranchero50 »

See if you can rotate the rotor. If it moves and springs back then yes, you do have a mechanical advance. Most Fords do as it takes an earlier ignition as the revs increase for the peak cylinder pressure to happen at the correct time. No advance and the timing lags.
'70 F-350 CS Cummins 6BT 10klb truck 64k mile Bahama Blue

Contact me for CNC Dome Lamp Bezels and Ash Tray pulls.
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by sargentrs »

Yes, it's under the base plate that has the points/condensor mounted on it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
1987 F-150 XLT Lariat, 5.0/C6 auto.
69-er

Post by 69-er »

Thanks, I knew there had to be one somewhere! I'm wondering if the advance could be frozen, I don't remember the rotor being able to turn.
Ranchero50

Post by Ranchero50 »

As seen in the pic above, you can work on it if you can get the advance off and the timing plate as well. Those little screws needs soaked in some loosening juice for a couple days before trying or they'll break off.

69-er

Post by 69-er »

Thanks Ranchero!
69-er

Post by 69-er »

I must have something different. I don't see the advance mechanism under the plate. No screws either to remove it. See pics.

????????
IMG_0643.JPG
IMG_0644.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ranchero50

Post by Ranchero50 »

Different style. It looks like the springs limit travel from something under the base plate. Maybe it's bushed to the shaft. Have to look deeper. does the spring loaded plate move?

69-er

Post by 69-er »

It sure does, just like I would expect it to move for the vacuum advance operation. It is weird why it would have two springs. They look like they are different spring rates too. That and with their different mounting angles I can see how the advance would move at a different rate as it advances.
69-er

Post by 69-er »

Figured it out. I have a Load-O-Matic distributor. https://fordsix.com/ci/Loadomatic.html

Only problem now, there is "Spark Control Valve" on the carburetor to control the vacuum advance this dist. My carb does not have this valve. There is a provision for it but the mounting port is not drilled nor are there any threads for the valve to thread into.

Another mystery!

Thanks for everyone's help. (Anybody know what this Load-O-Matic system is all about?)
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by sargentrs »

Looks like the Loadomatic distributor common to Mustang 6 cylinders.
http://www.mustangandfords.com/how-to/e ... strbutors/
Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
1987 F-150 XLT Lariat, 5.0/C6 auto.