Casting # Clarification

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

19Allen67

Casting # Clarification

Post by 19Allen67 »

Hello All,
I am really hoping that somebody here can help decipher what FE Block I am looking at. The fellow I am buying it from tells me that it is a 428-PI that he and his father installed many years ago and he cant recall what kind of vehicle it came out of.

I began the tedious search on the web trying to determine what it actually is. Part of the problem is the irregular casting digit found near the oil filter. I cant for the life of me figure out what it is. It almost looks like a backwards, inverted 2.?? I realize from the reading and research I have done so far, that it is pretty hard to determine unless I check the stroke, or pull the pan and check the crank, but I am hoping somebody out there may be able to at least give me their best guess. Please have a look at the photos and tell me what you think. The casting # on the side of the Block is C6ME-. It appears to be missing the last digit.?
Thanks in advance and I am looking forward to your thoughts and comments!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Allen
AB.CA
Manny
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Re: Casting # Clarification

Post by Manny »

That's a tough one. Sadly the old Fe casting numbers are as clear as mud most times. That is a correct number for a 428. BUUUUTTT its also is a number for 390's 352's 410's.. Yeah its great. Best way I can tell you to give you your best chance before spending $$$$ is the old stroke check. Pull the #1 and #4 plugs these are the two outer plugs on the passenger side of the engine. Take a screwdriver dowel rod something small that will fit straight down in the spark plug hole. After this spin the engine till the front cylinder #1 is all the way up. Make a mark on you instrument of choice at the entry point or the top of the exhaust port. Move the tool to #4 and the make another mark the same way. Measure the difference between the marks.
352-360 3.50"
390- 3.78"
410-428--3.98"
This does not verify the big old honking bore of the 428 but will at least get you toward something special like 410-or 428 with the stroke measurement. You may also find its just a plain old 390 or 352 that is being talked up (Not that this has ever happened before.) By the way my C6ME is a 352....
Best of luck and let us know what you find!!! Welcome to Fordification! :thup:
Just another Ford fool named Dan.
The Junk that hangs around
67' F-250 highboy Camper special cross breed currently under way
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=86706
1974 Bronco 302 3 speed
1984 bronco 302 c6 35's
1994 F350 7.3 5spd dually.
woods wrote: The rust holes in my truck were a factory install (very rare).
19Allen67

Post by 19Allen67 »

Hey Manny,
Thanks for the welcome note. Much appreciated!
And thanks a bunch for taking the time to respond. I think the dowel test will be my best option. I am taking my son with me when I go down for the final look, before I drop the hammer and make the purchase, so at least I will have a second pair of hand to help spin the crank... I also took a few snap shots of the casting on the heads, C8AE (with no further letters) on one side of the head-bolt hole, and 6090D on the other side of the bolt hole.
From what I have been able to scratch up it MAY be a 428 head. But again, who know, there sure seem to be a lot of smoke and mirrors when it comes to FE casting numbers.... any thoughts?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Allen
AB.CA
Ranchero50

Post by Ranchero50 »

Same deal, don't get excited until you do a stroke check. I like using a couple new wooden pencils as there's less chance of damage if you do something dumb. A 15/16" socket will turn over the crank. It's a little easier with all the plugs out but can be done with just one. I pull the easiest plug and check it BDC to TDC. Keeps the confusion down from moving from bank to bank. Keep the pencil perpendicular to the head gasket surface and slide your thumb down until it hits the plug hole. Mark that with a Sharpie or notch it. Then rotate to the other point while holding the pencil against the piston. Thumb to the plug hole and mark again. Measure and do it two more times to duplicate the marks. You can do it by yourself without a huge amount of effort.

If the seller is saying it's a hipo and priced as such then it shouldn't be a big deal to pull a plug and check it. Hopefully it'll be a common size and not some industrial oddball stroke crank. Good luck.
'70 F-350 CS Cummins 6BT 10klb truck 64k mile Bahama Blue

Contact me for CNC Dome Lamp Bezels and Ash Tray pulls.
19Allen67

Post by 19Allen67 »

Thanks again, I will let you know what I find!

Allen :thup:
Allen
AB.CA
Manny
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by Manny »

Just remember you thread's name is a contradiction in terms when it comes to ford fe engines. Good luck and can't wait to see what it really is. :?
Just another Ford fool named Dan.
The Junk that hangs around
67' F-250 highboy Camper special cross breed currently under way
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=86706
1974 Bronco 302 3 speed
1984 bronco 302 c6 35's
1994 F350 7.3 5spd dually.
woods wrote: The rust holes in my truck were a factory install (very rare).
tnlprt
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by tnlprt »

Looks like may 18 1965 date code

Check the head engineering number again ...It is probably C8AE-H Most common head and available on the 390/410/428 engines

6090 signifies head in Ford numbers

rotate the crank around and check for any counter weights on the flywheel The 410 and 428 will have a counterweight on the flywheel.. All other FE engines do not ..

MOST but not all 428 engines have 428 cast behind the center core plug

Check for a C scratch on the rear bulkhead ...NOT all of them had the C scratch
19Allen67

Post by 19Allen67 »

Hey Guys,
Just wanted to say thanks for the info but alas the seller would not budge off of his price so I had to walk away.... But I just found and purchased this while on Holidays in southern BC. Watch think?
Allen
AB.CA
67mann
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by 67mann »

:woohoo: :clap: Sweet Ride
I've had enough and I'm not alone
http://s267.photobucket.com/albums/ii304/67mann/
lennyp
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by lennyp »

Awesome find. Good luck
Ranchero50

Post by Ranchero50 »

Indeed, hopefully all is well under the shiny paint. :thup:
'70 F-350 CS Cummins 6BT 10klb truck 64k mile Bahama Blue

Contact me for CNC Dome Lamp Bezels and Ash Tray pulls.