Header Help

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

pchelp101

Header Help

Post by pchelp101 »

Would like some suggestions as to which brand of headers to shop for. I have a 69 F100 Ranger with a 390 three speed on the floor. I plan to add a power steering gearbox in the next few months, so clearance must be considered. I would prefer the shorty style because it looks simpler to connect to the existing exhaust. I have done some Google searches and searched this forum and it seems the Flowmaster long tubes are popular. Not looking so much for increased horsepower or sound as much as I am durability and installation fit. Thanks for your input :-D
1969 F100, 390, 3 Speed, 2WD
idaho_cowboy

Re: Header Help

Post by idaho_cowboy »

For build quality, hooker is fantastic. But there's lots of good options these days.

Use Rem-flex gaskets.

- Joseph
Owner @ bumpsidetreasures
pchelp101

Post by pchelp101 »

thanks Idaho cowboy, any particular part number ? I have 69' 390
idaho_cowboy

Post by idaho_cowboy »

Hooker Competition Headers 6903HKR

Strip or blast the black coating off, it's not designed to be permanent. And re-paint with VHT or similar with ceramic High Temp.

They supply pretty good bolts. Use the Rem-Flex gasket.

Might do some research, I'm to real sure about fitment with a power steering setup...

Double check that your heads

Usually requires lifting the engine off the perches about 3-4".

Starter has to come out, so does clutch linkage. Then carefully manipulate the headers in. One side at a time. Will need to do the passenger side/starter together as a puzzle.

There's other options too though, maybe some block-hugging type would be better suited for your application?

- Joseph
Owner @ bumpsidetreasures
pchelp101

Post by pchelp101 »

idaho_cowboy wrote:Hooker Competition Headers 6903HKR

Strip or blast the black coating off, it's not designed to be permanent. And re-paint with VHT or similar with ceramic High Temp.

They supply pretty good bolts. Use the Rem-Flex gasket.

Might do some research, I'm to real sure about fitment with a power steering setup...

Double check that your heads

Usually requires lifting the engine off the perches about 3-4".

Starter has to come out, so does clutch linkage. Then carefully manipulate the headers in. One side at a time. Will need to do the passenger side/starter together as a puzzle.

There's other options too though, maybe some block-hugging type would be better suited for your application?

- Joseph
Thanks again Joseph, I'm going to try and stay away from the full length headers (if even possible) because the shifter has been relocated to the floor. This means I'll have to try and connect to the existing exhaust. May have to suffice and go with a reman stock manifolds
DuckRyder

Post by DuckRyder »

I have the Hooker headers. My truck has power steering (Saginaw box) I don’t think the floor shifter would present a problem.

The exhaust is anyones guess, post some pictures of it maybe it will help form an opinion.

I think that the only option for shorties is Sanderson.

RobRoy did extensive header research if the post is still here.

EDIT, Yep Here: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 77#p329277
Robert
1972 F100 Ranger XLT (445/C6/9” 3.50 Truetrac)

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -- Jeff Cooper
pchelp101

Post by pchelp101 »

DuckRyder wrote:I have the Hooker headers. My truck has power steering (Saginaw box) I don’t think the floor shifter would present a problem.

The exhaust is anyones guess, post some pictures of it maybe it will help form an opinion.

I think that the only option for shorties is Sanderson.

RobRoy did extensive header research if the post is still here.

EDIT, Yep Here: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 77#p329277
Thanks DuckRyder, I do like the Sanderson prices.
pchelp101

Post by pchelp101 »

Hey also can anyone recommend a set of mufflers? Not loud, just built well.

Manny
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by Manny »

pchelp101 wrote:Hey also can anyone recommend a set of mufflers? Not loud, just built well.

Chambered mufflers are a good bet. I would say more 50-70 flowmaster. As time goes by i am going away from the loud 40's. They smooth mellow notes that only go loud with the loud pedal is where my heart keeps drifting. As with headers and mufflers spend your money up front and get some quality from magnaflow, flowmaster, cherry bomb. Again just good quality. :2cents:
Just another Ford fool named Dan.
The Junk that hangs around
67' F-250 highboy Camper special cross breed currently under way
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=86706
1974 Bronco 302 3 speed
1984 bronco 302 c6 35's
1994 F350 7.3 5spd dually.
woods wrote: The rust holes in my truck were a factory install (very rare).
pchelp101

Post by pchelp101 »

Manny wrote:
pchelp101 wrote:Hey also can anyone recommend a set of mufflers? Not loud, just built well.

Chambered mufflers are a good bet. I would say more 50-70 flowmaster. As time goes by i am going away from the loud 40's. They smooth mellow notes that only go loud with the loud pedal is where my heart keeps drifting. As with headers and mufflers spend your money up front and get some quality from magnaflow, flowmaster, cherry bomb. Again just good quality. :2cents:
Thank you Manny, I did see a Flowmaster on line yesterday reasonably priced. What I was not not aware of was the ratings you mentioned, just to clarify the higher the number the quieter they are?
HIO Silver
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by HIO Silver »

I suggest stainless Magnaflows.
70 F100 LB 2WD, 360FE, E-Street EFI, TKO-500, 76K original miles.. follow my rebuild: The Lo-Buck Bumpside
71 F250 LB, 2WD, 360FE, T18, PS, PB, D60 with 4.11s
73 F100 SB 4WD, 390FE, NP435, +4 on 35s

01 Ferrari 360 Spider F1
01 F150 SuperCrew Lariat 4WD
01 PT Cruiser Limited (DD)
68 Mustang
65 Mustang
pchelp101

Post by pchelp101 »

HIO Silver wrote:I suggest stainless Magnaflows.
Thanks HIO Silver, I just breezed over your build link and saw you chose a set of Sanderson headers. Any issues with starter access or power steering gearbox clearance? Also I just went to the Summit website and searched for Magnaflows for a 69' 390 and didn't find any. I would appreciate a PN, as my searching abilities suck LOL :oops:
DuckRyder

Post by DuckRyder »

Mufflers are highly subjective, what one guy likes another hates.

I like DynoMax UltraFlo mufflers.

I don’t really care for Flowmasters, even the bigger quieter ones... and some of the worst droning mufflers I ever owned were Flowmasters... others swear by them.
Robert

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -- Jeff Cooper
pchelp101

Post by pchelp101 »

DuckRyder wrote:Mufflers are highly subjective, what one guy likes another hates.

I like DynoMax UltraFlo mufflers.

I don’t really care for Flowmasters, even the bigger quieter ones... and some of the worst droning mufflers I ever owned were Flowmasters... others swear by them.
Thanks Duck, this may not be possible but how do you mean "droning"
DuckRyder

Post by DuckRyder »

Thanks Duck, this may not be possible but how do you mean “droning"
Reverberation, resonance... inside the vehicle. Might be less noticeable on a truck.
Robert