spark plug stuck

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

Clunker

spark plug stuck

Post by Clunker »

Decided to swap out spark plugs while the brake booster was out, and one of them is really stuck. The other seven came out easily because I always use anti-seize when installing them. Any suggestions on gently loosening it? I'm already using a breaker bar and it feels like I'm going to round the corners if I push any harder.
1970 F250 CS: 360, RV cam, Edelbrock Performer 390 intake, Holley 600, headers, Pertronix II, Flamethrower coil.
Clunker

Re: spark plug stuck

Post by Clunker »

Gave it one more shot after soaking in a rust-penetrating spray. The spark plug finally broke free. The shock was so intense that it shattered the ceramic sheath. Threads were still coated and rust free, so I have no idea how it got stuck. Anyway, issue resolved.
1970 F250 CS: 360, RV cam, Edelbrock Performer 390 intake, Holley 600, headers, Pertronix II, Flamethrower coil.
Lee

Post by Lee »

Good Job!!!

Years ago I was doing a compression check and I noticed that a few of my plugs were not tight. They were 1/4 turn from being tight.

Long story short is,.... the spark plug socket I use is so "fat" that it binds on the head. My fix was to not seat the socket all of the way onto the plug when installing or removing the plugs.

Wonder if you were experiencing the same thing.

Take care,
Lee
Clunker

Post by Clunker »

I have that problem on two of the 8 cylinders. My spark plug socket is fairly thin, but the head casting still does not leave enough room, so I have to be careful with them. If/when I ever install my other set of heads, I plan to grind away excess iron before I install them, so the socket fits easily. I would never try this while the heads are mounted. Not worth risking metal shavings inside the cylinder.