Broken Exhaust Bolt

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

lilorbie

Re: Broken Exhaust Bolt

Post by lilorbie »

if there is some of the bolt sticking out you do not need to pull the head. use a pair of vice- grips on the bolt if you do not have a torch. you could try a propane torch. i think that everybody has one. on my first bump my friend and i thought that my truck needed hedders. he started on the pass. side and broke off the very first bolt he tried. luckily it was not broken off flush. all of the other bolts came out with no problem.the bolt was sticking out about a 1/4 inch if that much.we put on the vice-grips and heated up the area around the bolt and it came right out. my truck was a 67 camper special with a 352/c6. i wish i still had it.
lilorbie

Post by lilorbie »

if there is some of the bolt sticking out you do not need to pull the head. use a pair of vice- grips on the bolt if you do not have a torch. you could try a propane torch. i think that everybody has one. on my first bump my friend and i thought that my truck needed hedders. he started on the pass. side and broke off the very first bolt he tried. luckily it was not broken off flush. all of the other bolts came out with no problem.the bolt was sticking out about a 1/4 inch if that much.we put on the vice-grips and heated up the area around the bolt and it came right out. my truck was a 67 camper special with a 352/c6. i wish i still had it.
pchelp101

Post by pchelp101 »

lilorbie wrote:if there is some of the bolt sticking out you do not need to pull the head. use a pair of vice- grips on the bolt if you do not have a torch. you could try a propane torch. i think that everybody has one. on my first bump my friend and i thought that my truck needed hedders. he started on the pass. side and broke off the very first bolt he tried. luckily it was not broken off flush. all of the other bolts came out with no problem.the bolt was sticking out about a 1/4 inch if that much.we put on the vice-grips and heated up the area around the bolt and it came right out. my truck was a 67 camper special with a 352/c6. i wish i still had it.
Was able to do just that with the middle bolt, the last bolt closest to the firewall now has a broken easy out in the center of it. And there is nothing sticking out with this one :cuss:
1969 F100, 390, 3 Speed, 2WD
lilorbie

Post by lilorbie »

man that really bites. it all ways seems to be the one in the worst possible place will be the hardest on to get out. be the bolt hummina hummina .our use the force. which ever works for you. good luck.
pchelp101

Post by pchelp101 »

SUCSESS ! With the aid of my little dremel and a Carbide bit we got rid of the broken easy out and the bolt :D
IMG_0287.JPG
IMG_0288.JPG
[/b]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1969 F100, 390, 3 Speed, 2WD