352 making clack clack sound...

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

Carb

352 making clack clack sound...

Post by Carb »

Hi, I have a 67 f100 with the 352. The clack clack sound I hear have been told is a (lifter?) or rocker arm issue possibly? I have also heard this is fairly common with these engines. Can anyone chime in or point me to how I can troubleshoot and/or fix this?

Thanks in advance!

Carb
8ton

Re: 352 making clack clack sound...

Post by 8ton »

You can use a long extension, or screwdriver like a stethoscope, touching one end to your ear and the other to various spots on the running engine to help locate sounds. Pull the valve covers and check for bent push rods and watch it run. It May spit a little oil so put down some old cardboard or do it at a friend's place.
colnago
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by colnago »

8ton wrote:It May spit a little oil so put down some old cardboard or do it at a friend's place.
Remind me to never invite you over to my place to work on your truck! I already have enough oil on the driveway, thank you very much!

All kidding aside, another vote for using a stethoscope to locate the sound. I'm wondering if it's just the mechanical fuel pump whacking back in place.

Joseph
"Sugar", my 1967 Ford F250 2WD Camper Special, 352FE, Ford iron "T" Intake with 1405 Edelbrock, Duraspark II Ignition, C6 transmission, front disc brake conversion.
Ohiotinkerer
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by Ohiotinkerer »

If you really wanna go old school a 1 inch by 1 inch piece of wood held to your ear works good for finding noises without tearing anything apart before you have to.....old farm trick I learnred when I was a kid........ :D
"Life is a garden - dig it"........... :thup:

1968 F100 2wd - Rangoon Red - 360 w/T18 - power steering and brakes
1997 Honda CBR 900RR