Oil control necessary for DD truck

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

8ton

Oil control necessary for DD truck

Post by 8ton »

My truck is a 55k mile 2wd f100 with 360/C6. I drive it to work most days, and use it to pull trailers 1-2 times a month. My commute is 40 mi each way up and over a VA mountain pass, with plenty of steep hills and sharp corners. I try to take it easy, but sometimes get a little "spirited". The 360 has to sit WOT sometime going up long hills when towing. I don't have a tach, but often manually shift when towing, and run 1st out to 40-45 sometimes if I have to get up a hill from a standstill (5000 rpms by my calculations)

I am doing a timing chain next week and am going to have the pan off. I will be putting in a m57b oil pump (std volume, 60-65 psi) Moroso windage tray and Holley jets to restrict the rockers a bit. I was planning on blending and smoothing the passages on the oil filter adaptor as well. Should I opt for a pan with some better baffles to keep oil around my pickup? From what I can tell, the truck pans have almost no baffling other than the diagonal fin at the back. The passenger car ones look to have a baffle to keep oil from sloshing to the back, but are not as deep, if I understand correctly.

I don't want to spend the extra $300+ if it is totally unnecessary, but I also don't want to nuke a perfectly good motor by being cheap/stupid either.

I know a lot of this has been gone over a dozen times, but it is hard to compare what is best for a street rod/cruiser to my daily use.
Thanks guys!
tnlprt
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Re: Oil control necessary for DD truck

Post by tnlprt »

What I run on my 427 stroker in my 67 2 wheel drive ....Buy the pick up tube also

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum- ... /make/ford

Put an extra quart in the pan when you change oil 6 instead of 5 add a quart for the filter

Remark your dipstick for the low and normal levels

68 oil adapter already has the big ports and is fine the way it is

Drill out the oil pump passage in the block to 1/2 inch

Grease on the drill bit works well to trap the chips

Roller rockers and roller cam in my engine.... no oil restrictors...... with the M57HV pump

80LBS cold at idle .....40LBS hot idle .......75LBS at cruise RPM ...Will bury the 100LB gauge when cold at 1500 RPM

Use a ZDDP additive
8ton

Post by 8ton »

I think the stock truck pan holds 6. When I clean it i will measure out 7 qt. and see where it sits.

I think I am just going to fab and weld in some baffles, some simple sheet metal should keep the oil from sloshing around too much, and only cost a few $. I may try to get one in the front to control it from going forward when braking down hill as well.

I was going to try to do everything with the engine in the truck, and as such didn't want to drill the oil passage, But now think it would be faster and easier to pull the whole motor. I need to reseal my intake anyways, and will do the rear main, front trans seal and paint my headers again if it comes out.
Is everyone just pushing a 7/16 drill bit down the passage with a hand drill? i saw someone talking about using a piloted bit but didn't know if it was necessary.

What do you rev your 427 stroker to?
tnlprt
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by tnlprt »

Max HP is at 6000

Max TQ is at 4300

Should have used a cam bigger than 674 lift 308 duration I guess