No fuel

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

575Vaquero

No fuel

Post by 575Vaquero »

I bought a 1972 F250 with a 302. It has been sitting for many years. After washing out the fuel tank, blowing out the lines, replacing the fuel pump and repairing some electrical issues, it started and ran. After sitting for a week, I don't get any fuel to the pump. Line is clear. Is there a sock type filter in the cab fuel tank? I tried to remove the sending unit to see inside, but it seems to be attached to something. I can only lift it a couple of inches, then it stops.

Thanks for any help!
basketcase0302
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: No fuel

Post by basketcase0302 »

"575Vaquero"]I bought a 1972 F250 with a 302. It has been sitting for many years. After washing out the fuel tank, blowing out the lines, replacing the fuel pump and repairing some electrical issues, it started and ran. After sitting for a week, I don't get any fuel to the pump. Line is clear. Is there a sock type filter in the cab fuel tank? I tried to remove the sending unit to see inside, but it seems to be attached to something. I can only lift it a couple of inches, then it stops.
Thanks for any help!
This topic has been "debated here by many people and a few of them will swear to there being a "sock" on the bottom of the fuel pick up / sending unit. There was nothing in the bottom of mine and the fuel line extended all the way down within 1/8" from the bottom of the tank, (making trash real easy to clog it's suction). You should have no issues pulling out the sending unit other than the float binding up on the walls of the tank as your pulling it out. Look real...good at having the tank flushed and coated, (had mine done by a radiator shop) as there's probably a bucket full of trash in the bottom if it's never been taken out and flushed.
Here's what the fuel line looks like in the bottom of your tank:

One thing to really look at is the integrity of the fuel line from the tank to the fuel pump on your model truck if it has power steering. Few folks here realize that the power steering box "sandwiches" the fuel line from the gas tank behind it and this is what Ford left us with-a fuel starved engine from the factory floor. I re-routed mine inside the frame rail which was a major PIB but well worth it IMO to get rid of fuel starvation issues.
Jeff
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=46251
SOLD-71 F-350 dually flatbed, 302 / .030 over V-8 with a "baby"C-6, B & M truckshifter, Dana70/4.11 ratio, intermittent wipers, tilt steering, full LED lighting on the flat bed, and no stereo yet (this way I can hear the rattles to diagnose)! SOLD!
Many Ford bumps / one 76' EB / and several dents through the years.
A lot of "oddball" Ford parts collected from working on them for 34 years now!
2008 Ford Escape 4 x 4
colnago
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by colnago »

Run a line from a 1-gallon tank to the pump, and crank the engine. Just use a 3' rubber hose that you can get from the local auto parts store. Does the engine start/run? If so, the problem is from the tank to the pump. If not, it's between the pump and engine. Check any in-line fuel filters.

Do you still have a mechanical fuel pump? If so, is the oil clear? If not, check your PVC valve. Long story short, I had fluid in my oil, which kept the mechanical fuel pump from working. Put in a new PCV valve, and life was good.

Joseph

On edit, the sending unit should pull right out of the tank. Not sure why you can only get a couple of inches.
"Sugar", my 1967 Ford F250 2WD Camper Special, 352FE, Ford iron "T" Intake with 1405 Edelbrock, Duraspark II Ignition, C6 transmission, front disc brake conversion.
derekm803

Post by derekm803 »

Can the fuel pickup line be taken out of the tank? Mine seems to the weldesd\brazed\fused to the tank so I can't pull the line out n check for a sock. I'm having starvation issues as well. After a few mins of running the inline fuel filter goes empty. I was curious about a sock being on the end of the tube as well.
71cc

Post by 71cc »

My tank was pristine but occasionally would " run out of gas" . Turns out a flake of solder from tank seam was getting sucked against pickup tube. As soon as the truck died the solder would fall back on the bottom of tank and truck would run again. Very frustrating.
derekm803

Post by derekm803 »

No sock on my tube. Drained The fuel out n got a peek. It does have a bend in it, tho. Not quite 45 degrees. I would still like to get it outta there and check it out.
Busboy
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by Busboy »

The pickup tube is welded to the tank so it can't be removed. The sender should pull right out. I'm wondering if your old fuel turned to tar. I had one do it. I steamed it for hours and pulled 2 inch squares of tar out. Once the sender is out you can see the end of the pickup tube.
1967 F-100 4x4 custom cab.
Another 67 F-100 4x4 custom cab.
2016 F-150 Eco-Boost 2.7 liter. (It will smoke the tires!)
1972 F-350 Sport Custom cab & chassis.
1972 F-250 Explorer Special, Camper Special.
1971 F-100 custom. 302, C-4, p.s. p.b. factory 65 amp alternator with transistorized voltage regulator.
basketcase0302
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by basketcase0302 »

Agreed with Busboy above as it's so common for our fuel these days to turn to "jell" in a very short time.
Run the truck on a remote "marine tank" in the bed area if you need to while you've got it pulled out to clean.
Mine had so...much crap and something similar to what 71cc said above was happening-fuel starvation.
Also look closely at the fuel line in the area where it passes behind the power steering box, (if you have PS) as mine was smashed down to about a 1/4" line there (from the factory) from day one. :thup:
Jeff
SOLD-71 F-350 dually flatbed, 302 / .030 over V-8 with a "baby"C-6, B & M truckshifter, Dana70/4.11 ratio, intermittent wipers, tilt steering, full LED lighting on the flat bed, and no stereo yet (this way I can hear the rattles to diagnose)! SOLD!
2008 Ford Escape 4 x 4
derekm803

Post by derekm803 »

I switched mine to a small tank under the hood and it still stops pulling gas after a few mins. The fuel pump is new. Why would It stop sending gas?
basketcase0302
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by basketcase0302 »

Derek,

I'd make sure the tank your using is vented, (or otherwise picture a "balloon" effect) as it has to have a way to vent or it will not pump.
Fuel filter new or clean? Is there a chance it's vapor locking, (try to find 6-8 wooden clothes pins and clip them onto the steel fuel line between the pump and the carb).
A fuel pressure gauge would pay for itself easily to diagnose this as you could still have a pump issue, (trash pulled up to the diaphragm / leaking diaphragm / bad pump / etc.). :(
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=in ... 5&_udhi=35
Jeff
2008 Ford Escape 4 x 4
tsherry
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by tsherry »

If this hasn't been discussed, replace all the rubber suction lines between tank and pump. The fuel lines are often nylon reinforced with an inner and outer rubber jacket. After sitting for years, the inner liner can separate from the outer. From outside they look fine, but under suction, the inner line is quite soft, and can suck shut under load.

Had it happen numerous times on my Falcons, Mustangs and pickups.
too many Fords, no where near 'nuff time.

or, money.
derekm803

Post by derekm803 »

I actually had a little success with mine today. Got to nosing around yesterday and found the hose that hooks to the PCV and the carb spacer stretched out pretty bad. So, I put both baseplate gaskets, new PCV and new piece of hose on there and it sat n ran in the driveway for an hour. The fuel filter still didn't keep fuel in it but it pulled enough fuel to keep running. Maybe my pump just don't pump enough volume to keep that inline filter full. It's the bigger style filter, maybe an inch and a half or two in diamiter with the 3 inch length. I'mma get a smaller sight glass filter n see if it stays full.
derekm803

Post by derekm803 »

I'm running on a one gallon can rt now. Gonna pull the tank n get it it boiled out n lined. It's a little ugly inside. My suction line is bent but by design. It runs to the side of the tank and is secured at the bottom. No sock.
basketcase0302
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by basketcase0302 »

Like tsherry said above I've also had issues with the fuel line(s) and it's real frustrating to diagnose.
Also in regards to the fuel filter it's common that guys put them on the suction side of the pump, (in between the tank and the fuel pump) but...
Automotive engineering states otherwise, (that the fuel filter should only go after the pump).
Glad you kept it running-hope you get it narrowed down with the smaller fuel filter.
Jeff
2008 Ford Escape 4 x 4
derekm803

Post by derekm803 »

I just don't see how I can go without a filter before the pump since there's no sock in the tank. The fuel pump does have the cannuster hanging off the bottom of it. That's a filter too, right?