Carb Issue

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

thatoneguy

Carb Issue

Post by thatoneguy »

I am having a frustrating issue with a Motorcraft 2150 carb that I just did a rebuild kit on. I put it on my 351M and it ran great for all of about 5 second until the bowl overfilled, dumped fuel out of the vent tubes and flooded it. I popped the top cover off and the float is at the right level but it doesn't seem to be stopping the fuel. I pulled the float and needle out to run a bit of fuel through it in case there was some dirt, etc. in there but it made no difference. After that, just for S&G, I adjusted the float a bit more but it didn't seem to make a difference either. I then tried to turn it over while manually holding the needle down and it did not overfill. I am at a loss, any ideas on what to check now?
Aaron V.
1970 Ford F100 4x4 390/4-spd
1973 Ford Maverick 302/C4
1979 Chevrolet C30 Ramp Truck 454/TH-400
1948 Chevrolet 3800 216/4-spd
1995 Jeep Cherokee 4.0/5-spd
2004 Honda Shadow 1100

"While driving yesterday I saw a banana peel in the road and instinctively swerved to avoid it…thanks Mario Kart."
71Fe2O3

Re: Carb Issue

Post by 71Fe2O3 »

Assuming that it didn't do this before the rebuild, and that you didn't change anything else (fuel pump?) it seems that you didn't get something quite right when you reassembled the carburetor. I recently experienced something that sounds similar with a lawn mower carburetor and found it to be the needle and seat-the bowl filled, the float rose, but because the needle did not fit into the seat properly, the fuel kept flowing and the carburetor overflowed.
Fred

1970 F100 4WD short bed, 360 engine, very rusty plow and yard truck

1971 F100 2WD long bed, 302 engine, on the road

1968 F100 2WD long bed, 360 engine, stripping for parts
thatoneguy

Post by thatoneguy »

71Fe2O3 wrote:Assuming that it didn't do this before the rebuild, and that you didn't change anything else (fuel pump?) it seems that you didn't get something quite right when you reassembled the carburetor. I recently experienced something that sounds similar with a lawn mower carburetor and found it to be the needle and seat-the bowl filled, the float rose, but because the needle did not fit into the seat properly, the fuel kept flowing and the carburetor overflowed.
What are you talking about? I would never make a mistake... :lol:

You are correct that it did not do it before and nothing else was changed other than the fuel filter. I ordered a new brass float to replace my foam (or whatever it is) float just for S&G, I don't really expect it to fix the issue but it is worth a shot. Good thing is, I kept the old needle/seat so I can try swapping that back in to see if something is off with the new needle/seat fitment and double check my install when I do that.

One thought I did have last night that I wish I had payed attention to when I took the thing apart: there is the 90-degree clip that clips onto the pivot for the float; is that supposed to somehow tie into the seat or carb body or something to keep the float held down at the pivot?
Aaron V.
2004 Honda Shadow 1100

"While driving yesterday I saw a banana peel in the road and instinctively swerved to avoid it…thanks Mario Kart."
idaho_cowboy

Post by idaho_cowboy »

Float adjustments can be very tricky, and even more so with the replacement neoprene or plastic (black) float. The original style brass ones are recommended. You'll get it...

- Joseph
Owner @ bumpsidetreasures
Manny
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by Manny »

thatoneguy wrote:
One thought I did have last night that I wish I had payed attention to when I took the thing apart: there is the 90-degree clip that clips onto the pivot for the float; is that supposed to somehow tie into the seat or carb body or something to keep the float held down at the pivot?

THAT'S IT!!! You just stated your problem i think. There is a clip that holds the pivot down to the seat. If its not there the pivot can rise and overrun the needle and seat. There should be a groove in the top of the seat and the clip on the pivot captures it. Fix that you should be golden :thup:
Just another Ford fool named Dan.
The Junk that hangs around
67' F-250 highboy Camper special cross breed currently under way
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=86706
1974 Bronco 302 3 speed
1984 bronco 302 c6 35's
1994 F350 7.3 5spd dually.
woods wrote: The rust holes in my truck were a factory install (very rare).
Manny
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by Manny »

Just another Ford fool named Dan.
The Junk that hangs around
67' F-250 highboy Camper special cross breed currently under way
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=86706
1974 Bronco 302 3 speed
1984 bronco 302 c6 35's
1994 F350 7.3 5spd dually.
woods wrote: The rust holes in my truck were a factory install (very rare).
thatoneguy

Post by thatoneguy »

Manny wrote:
thatoneguy wrote:

THAT'S IT!!! You just stated your problem i think. There is a clip that holds the pivot down to the seat. If its not there the pivot can rise and overrun the needle and seat. There should be a groove in the top of the seat and the clip on the pivot captures it. Fix that you should be golden :thup:
Yup, that was the issue! The kit came with the new needle and seat so I am not sure why they gave me two different retainers, one of which does not fit/clip-in correctly but oh well; it runs now and runs pretty good at that :hd:. Now I just need to figure out why my choke isn't kicking off properly and I'll be dialed! Seems like the hot air tube is not getting hot air, gonna take a closer look this week/weekend but any suggestions in advance will be helpful.
Aaron V.
2004 Honda Shadow 1100