Oil Dipstick Tube Journal

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

pchelp101

Oil Dipstick Tube Journal

Post by pchelp101 »

Does anyone know if there is a ridge in the journal that the dipstick tube seats in? I am trying to determine if there is a bit of an old tube stuck down there or is it sleeved maybe? :?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1969 F100, 390, 3 Speed, 2WD
Busboy
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Re: Oil Dipstick Tube Journal

Post by Busboy »

Looks to me like a piece is broken off in there. The proper size fine thread screw or bolt threaded into it should pull it out. You don't want one too big or it will expand it too much and lock it into the block.
1967 F-100 4x4 custom cab.
Another 67 F-100 4x4 custom cab.
2016 F-150 Eco-Boost 2.7 liter. (It will smoke the tires!)
1972 F-350 Sport Custom cab & chassis.
1972 F-250 Explorer Special, Camper Special.
1971 F-100 custom. 302, C-4, p.s. p.b. factory 65 amp alternator with transistorized voltage regulator.
pchelp101

Post by pchelp101 »

Busboy wrote:Looks to me like a piece is broken off in there. The proper size fine thread screw or bolt threaded into it should pull it out. You don't want one too big or it will expand it too much and lock it into the block.
Thats what I was afraid of, thanks Busboy :thup:
colnago
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by colnago »

I just got to this part of my rebuild, and found the same ridge. I also found that the dipstick tube doesn't go in all the way. Instead, it butts up against this ridge. What you are showing is normal. With the tube against the ridge, the other end should line up with the mounting bolt hole (in my case, it lined up to the front of the head, but some of them use a bolt hole for the exhaust manifold).

Joseph
"Sugar", my 1967 Ford F250 2WD Camper Special, 352FE, Ford iron "T" Intake with 1405 Edelbrock, Duraspark II Ignition, C6 transmission, front disc brake conversion.
pchelp101

Post by pchelp101 »

colnago wrote:I just got to this part of my rebuild, and found the same ridge. I also found that the dipstick tube doesn't go in all the way. Instead, it butts up against this ridge. What you are showing is normal. With the tube against the ridge, the other end should line up with the mounting bolt hole (in my case, it lined up to the front of the head, but some of them use a bolt hole for the exhaust manifold).

Joseph
Thank you very much colnago, I actually found a thread on Google that says there was a Ford service bulletin released in 1970 stating that they had indeed been placing the incorrect tubes in Ford 390's. It state's that the tube actually only goes in about 3/8 of an inch and is held in place "literally" by the bolt one the header. I only wish I had read this before I totally destroyed two tubes trying to get it flush !! :cry: