Best Way to Clean Rocker Assembly?

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

colnago
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Best Way to Clean Rocker Assembly?

Post by colnago »

What's the best way to clean rocker assemblies? Everything seems to be functional, and the "working surfaces" are clean, but the exposed surfaces are covered with 50 years of baked-on oil. I could get the ends off, and the outer stands and rocker arms, but the inner stands aren't going anywhere. Steel wool and elbow grease? Lighter fluid and a match? I hate to replace them, but I do want to clean them before I reinstall them.

Joseph
"Sugar", my 1967 Ford F250 2WD Camper Special, 352FE, Ford iron "T" Intake with 1405 Edelbrock, Duraspark II Ignition, C6 transmission, front disc brake conversion.
tnlprt
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Re: Best Way to Clean Rocker Assembly?

Post by tnlprt »

Rubber mallet will knock the stands off

The inside of the shafts also need to be rifle brushed

35/64 is the core plug for the ends of FE factory shafts

Good old parts washer solvent works well to clean every thing
Jacksdad
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Jacksdad »

A can of oven cleaner will clean off years of baked on sludge with ease. Same stuff they use when they hot tank your motor - just don't get it on plain bearings like cam, rod and mains as it will damage them. Use an old brush and do it outside because of the fumes. And don't forget to wear gloves and eye protection - that stuff burns :cry:
1971 DRW F350 cab and chassis with an Open Road motorhome conversion, Dana 70, 352 (originally 390)/C6, PS, power front discs, and 159" w/b.
Manny
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by Manny »

Take them apart and then buy yourself and can of carb cleaner. Dunk the parts then wash them off after and reassemble. :thup:
Just another Ford fool named Dan.
The Junk that hangs around
67' F-250 highboy Camper special cross breed currently under way
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=86706
1974 Bronco 302 3 speed
1984 bronco 302 c6 35's
1994 F350 7.3 5spd dually.
woods wrote: The rust holes in my truck were a factory install (very rare).
colnago
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by colnago »

I got a can of oven cleaner this morning. I didn't have much play time today, but I was able to clean the sludge on the shaft, which let me disassemble it all. I'm a bit hesitant to go hog-wild with the oven cleaner, since it said not to use on aluminum, and I think the stands are aluminum. So, I'll probably use a combo of the oven cleaner and carb cleaner. At least I now have a path forward.

Thanks,

Joseph
"Sugar", my 1967 Ford F250 2WD Camper Special, 352FE, Ford iron "T" Intake with 1405 Edelbrock, Duraspark II Ignition, C6 transmission, front disc brake conversion.
MTM

Post by MTM »

I brought mine to the local auto/ machine shop with a bunch of other parts and had them run it through their parts washer. I think it was $45 after tax for all of the parts that I could unbolt from the engine. Saved a ton of time and I would have spent almost that much for carb cleaner to do it myself.