Relocating gas tank

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

Garf

Relocating gas tank

Post by Garf »

I am looking to move the gas tank in my 1970 F100 from the cab to between the rails in the rear. I prefer not to put a hole in the bed floor or out the side, so I would like to have the fill tube behind the rear license plate. I plan to use a roll pan for the rear in place of the bumper so easy enough to put the hole in the roll pan but is there a gas tank out there that will work for this type of setup? I also plan to run 3 or 4" dia. exhaust tips through the pan on each of the outer sides of the pan. Any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
JoshT
Preferred User
Preferred User

Re: Relocating gas tank

Post by JoshT »

Nothing that is designed to be a bolt in solution. There are a few vehicles that have rear fill tanks which may work.

64-68 mustangs - filler comes out top and angled aft, mount low in frame it might work.

69-70 mustang - filler is closer to back edge and appears to be angled to the rear than previous years.

71-73 mustang - filler appears even more angled to the rear than 69-70, but not sure how the neck attaches.

59-60 Chevy car has great filler location, neck on tank may need to be shortened.

Those are some I came across on the Tanks Inc site recently. I'm sure there are many others I haven't seen.
If you are ok jumping manufacturers then that Chevy tank with the neck shortened looks most promising. Any of them will likely require modification of the rear cross member.

I was personally looking for a rear mounted side fill tank that was EFI comparable for an '86 Ranger with 5.0 swap. Settled on a 57 Chevy EFI conversion tank being best option. When I start on the F-100 I've got a 23 gallon Bronco II tank and a side filler door from a later model truck that I'll be grafting into the bed. I'd have used it on the Ranger but that's a deep tank and don't fit so well on a lowered truck, the F-100 is 4wd so no problem there.
1968 F-100 4x4 long bed - 360 FE - NP435 w/ Dana 21 - PS & PB conversion - Front Disc Swap - 265/75R16 - 1" S.L. & 2" B.L. (to be removed) - Homemade tube bumpers - Warn 8274 - Currently wearing 1970 body
Garf

Re: Relocating gas tank

Post by Garf »

Thanks again for the info. I checked out the Tanks Inc. site and it does look like Chevy may have the best tank for what I am looking to do. Would be nice to have one just to check out and see how everything would line up. Oh well.