intake manifold pan

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

madtom

intake manifold pan

Post by madtom »

What is the pan attached to the underside of the stock intake manifold? Can/should I take it off and clean underneath before reinstalling the intake?
To be clear, this isn't the valley pan, it's attached directly to the underside of the intake.
Thanks in advance for any replies, I can't find any info and my Haynes manual doesn't mention it.
idaho_cowboy

Re: intake manifold pan

Post by idaho_cowboy »

It's a pain. But if your intake is original, it could be FULL of crud. Would be worth getting that off and cleaned.

- Joseph
Owner @ bumpsidetreasures
madtom

Post by madtom »

Does it just pry off?
eggman918
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by eggman918 »

madtom wrote:Does it just pry off?
IIRC it's riveted on but it will come off when I did mine I tapped the rivet holes for machine screws
Steve

The"Filthy Beast"- '68 F-250 Crew Cab 131"W/B 4x4 4BT compounds hx30/Wh1c,5x.012" sac injectors/ZF 5/NP203-205 /3.54 44 trutrack front/60 trutrack rear on 33's. 2nd owner

"Beauty is only skin deep....Ugly is to the bone"
It is more important to understand what you don't know than what you do know,because then you can start to learn..???
"you must deal with the attaboys and the ass chewing s with your head up and looking them in the eyes" T.J.E. aka My Dad
There are only three types of people wolves, sheepdogs, and sheep. What are you?
madtom

Post by madtom »

Got it. It's taken this long, so I hate to cut corners now.... but I've almost got this thing back together and I'm ready to set the intake.

If I don't remove the pan am I gonna wish I did? I did power wash it with hot water.
Thanks for the help.
eggman918
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by eggman918 »

When i pulled mine the void between the shield and manifold was nearly filled with baked crud that was once oil i would guess that had been coked by the heat from the exhaust crossover.
Steve

The"Filthy Beast"- '68 F-250 Crew Cab 131"W/B 4x4 4BT compounds hx30/Wh1c,5x.012" sac injectors/ZF 5/NP203-205 /3.54 44 trutrack front/60 trutrack rear on 33's. 2nd owner

It is more important to understand what you don't know than what you do know,because then you can start to learn..???
"you must deal with the attaboys and the ass chewing s with your head up and looking them in the eyes" T.J.E. aka My Dad
There are only three types of people wolves, sheepdogs, and sheep. What are you?
madtom

Post by madtom »

Got it. Thanks
madtom

Post by madtom »

Okay, So now I'm torn between the thought of a bunch of crud coming loose inside my new engine or a couple of machine screws coming loose and flopping around.

I'm leaning towards pulling the pan, but I'm not sure how to keep the screws from coming loose? What have others done to make sure the screws don't back out? Threadlock?
eggman918
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by eggman918 »

Locktite 620 it's good to 450* and is high strength or if you have a torch you could tack them in place with silver solder
Steve

madtom

Post by madtom »

Got it. Thanks
madtom

Post by madtom »

The drive bolts came out fairly easy and there wasn't as much crud underneath as I expected. Is reusing the old drive bolts with a coat of Loctite an option?

I haven't been able to find much info on this (other than what advice has been given on this site), so I decided to share a couple pics just in case it might help someone else.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
eggman918
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by eggman918 »

I would "think" you could reuse them but it will be a judgment call on how they feel/act going back in but i have used loctite on other slip and light press fits.
Steve

pchelp101

Post by pchelp101 »

Hey madtom, did you unscrew that big plug in the center? What's in there?
1969 F100, 390, 3 Speed, 2WD
madtom

Post by madtom »

I didn't unscrew it, but I'd kinda like to know whats under there too.
madtom

Post by madtom »

Does this sound right? I put a thick bead of rtv on both ends, but when I set my intake down, it didn't even touch the silicone.
I've attached photo's, does this much gap look even remotely right? I didn't tighten any bolts, but the top of the manifold was only at most 1/16" off being flush with the cylinder heads.

I started over and used the cork end gaskets (their pretty thick), with a silicone bead on top. It looked a little better the second time and did squeeze some silicone out, but still didn't set as deep in the trough as would have expected. The top of manifold and cylinder heads was perfectly flush.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.