Carb leaks and questions

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

thangtamfive

Carb leaks and questions

Post by thangtamfive »

I have 1970 F100 with 302 and the 2100 stock carburetor. Engine and carb were rebuilt when I did restoration a few years back. Seemed to have trouble starting and opened hood to find the carb is leaking. Runs fine. Appears it is coming directly from the pump check valve diaphram cover. At least that is what I think it is. Its directly to the right of the main fuel line on the front of the carb. Is square with 4 small bolts. Diaphram is rubber with circular metal in the middle. I got a rebuild kit and put new diaphragm in. Found that one of the four bolts is stripped and not tightening down. I think the carb body itself that is stripped, not the bolt. So it still leaks.

Question is, is there a way to re-thread that or should I just use some adhesive type stuff? Find slight larger bolt and thread it in, coarse thread vs. fine thread or vice versa?

I am thinking to try a fix before investing in new carb all together. Any advice?

Also if new carb is in order, where is best to buy and/or should I take this time to upgrade to a better carb?
Busboy
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Re: Carb leaks and questions

Post by Busboy »

Helicoil.
1967 F-100 4x4 custom cab.
Another 67 F-100 4x4 custom cab.
2016 F-150 Eco-Boost 2.7 liter. (It will smoke the tires!)
1972 F-350 Sport Custom cab & chassis.
1972 F-250 Explorer Special, Camper Special.
1971 F-100 custom. 302, C-4, p.s. p.b. factory 65 amp alternator with transistorized voltage regulator.
Ohiotinkerer
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by Ohiotinkerer »

:yt:

If there's nothing else wrong with it that's going to be your cheapest and proper route to fix it......my :2cents: for today......
"Life is a garden - dig it"........... :thup:

1968 F100 2wd - Rangoon Red - 360 w/T18 - power steering and brakes
1997 Honda CBR 900RR
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by sargentrs »

Once you fix those threads, you should resurface the housing cover. They are notorious for warping and breaking the seal surface. Wrap a piece of 120 grit sandpaper around a wood block and place in on the bench or table. Hold the cover, gasket side down, on the sandpaper and push it across in firm straight strokes. You'll immediately be able to see the high and low spots on the sealing surface. Keep sanding until you have a nice flat surface for the gasket to seal on.
Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
1987 F-150 XLT Lariat, 5.0/C6 auto.