[Video] 360 Engine Rattling Noise

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

Pat Crash

[Video] 360 Engine Rattling Noise

Post by Pat Crash »

I have been hearing a rattling noise coming from my engine for a while now. I would describe it as a mid-frequency rattling and sounds like it is towards the front of the engine (but I can't be sure). It doesn't seem to be getting worse, but it concerns me. Wondering if the engine is going to go soon because an internal part is breaking, or if maybe it's just an external part that is loosening up or breaking down. Anyone experience this sort of noise or venture to take a guess? Thank you.

https://youtu.be/TLCMttGIfm8
1971 Ford F100 Ranger XLT Long Bed — 360 with C6 Automatic — 9" with 3.00 Gear Ratio
dpson

Re: [Video] 360 Engine Rattling Noise

Post by dpson »

Sounds like it might be the water pump.

With the engine off grab the fan spacer in front of the pump pulley and see if it will wiggly up and down.

If there is any movement it's time for a new pump.

Also if the hoses haven't been replaced in a while, especially the little bypass hose at the top of the pump, it's a good time to replace them.
Pat Crash

Post by Pat Crash »

dpson wrote:Sounds like it might be the water pump.

With the engine off grab the fan spacer in front of the pump pulley and see if it will wiggly up and down.

If there is any movement it's time for a new pump.

Also if the hoses haven't been replaced in a while, especially the little bypass hose at the top of the pump, it's a good time to replace them.
Thank you dpson! Just checked and definitely has a good amount of play. Will get on this promptly to get a new water pump and replacement hoses. Again, thanks for the help.

:fr:
1971 Ford F100 Ranger XLT Long Bed — 360 with C6 Automatic — 9" with 3.00 Gear Ratio
dpson

Post by dpson »

Let us know how you come out with this.

BTW: Also a good time to change the drive belts too!
Gustavo 390

Post by Gustavo 390 »

I like to use silicone hose on that bypass hose on the water pump. It's hard to get one on without removing water pump