overheating

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

1guydude
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

overheating

Post by 1guydude »

So this last Saturday or sunday I blew my radiator out on the freeway exit. Is it possible I blew my head gaskets as well? I tore the motor down today to find water in all the cylinders :/
going to try and put it all back together tomorrow morning. Hoping after I can burp my radiator and the truck wont overheat... ???
Also I didn't have my guide pins or dowels in or on the heads and block or where they meet...could this cause my heats to float or shift and move. Allowing the water coolant in?
Gonna check the heads and block as good as I can for cracks but shouldn't have any.
New top end rebuild and new radiator recently. Idels at 190deg but just goes up when drivin. Not super happy about this. Praying I can get it to stay cool. All I got was new head gaskets today.
thanks all
-devin
2008 bmw 528i
1967 ford f100
2014 vw tiguan
2016 kawasaki 250f
2015 KTM rc390
2014 audi tt Quatro s
Braaaaap!
tnlprt
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Re: overheating

Post by tnlprt »

If you have an FE engine FRONT MEANS FRONT on the head gaskets

A bad intake gasket can also fill the cylinders with water
71Fe2O3

Post by 71Fe2O3 »

Though I have only installed head gaskets in Subaru engines, I have torn apart some FE engines, and I recall that there is a definite orientation to the gaskets-they are either marked or shaped in ways that make it difficult to install them improperly. Missing dowel pins could allow the heads to move relative to the block, so be sure to get a set of them-Summit comes to mind as a possible source.
The fault could also be with the intake gasket, as tnlprt noted, so you should replace that as well-I think you have to remove it to get to the head gaskets on an FE anyway, and it seems that you shouldn't re-use the old one.
While you have it apart, consider doing a full rebuild. If you rebuild half of the engine, you will have problems with the other half down the road, with the eventual result being you will have to tear it apart again to get it right, costing you additional time and money compared to doing it all at once.
Fred

1970 F100 4WD short bed, 360 engine, very rusty plow and yard truck

1971 F100 2WD long bed, 302 engine, on the road

1968 F100 2WD long bed, 360 engine, stripping for parts
1guydude
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by 1guydude »

I didn't look at the cam or crank but the cylinders and holes looked really good. No lip at the end of the holes...I did a top end rebuild cuz my heads had a cracked valve. Or broken and missing a chunk. I have the dowel pins at home with my new old fel pro kit. I didn't know what they were for.
Ill get new intake gaskets as well. Mine seem good but have been compressed. As has the valve covers gaskets. And thermostat gasket.

I still need to know what happened. Did I blow my head gaskets and that blew my radiator? Gonna get those gaskets tomorrow hopefully and get going on re assembly. Im just gonna take my time and do it per correct torque sequence and specs....
uhhgggg. Gonna be real upset if its still overheating. I replaced the radiator but not the head gaskets which I just got yesterday.
This time also im gonna re torque em after initial start up and cool down... anything im missing???
2008 bmw 528i
1967 ford f100
2014 vw tiguan
2016 kawasaki 250f
2015 KTM rc390
2014 audi tt Quatro s
Braaaaap!
1972hiboy
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by 1972hiboy »

I'd get those heads checked for cracks while while you have them off.
Rich
1973 f350 super c/s 460/c6 22k orig miles
1972 f350 srw crewcab special 390
1972 f250 4x4 sport custom 390fe Red
1972 f250 4x4 custom 360 FE " Ranger Ric"
1972 f250 4x4 custom 84k og miles 390
1971 f250 4x4 sport custom 56k og miles. 360
1970 f250 4x4 428 fe hp60 205 d60
Dont eat yellow snow.....
Ranchero50

Post by Ranchero50 »

You must use the dowels. Otherwise the gaskets don't line up and you'll risk putting compression gasses in the coolant and blowing it up again.
'70 F-350 CS Cummins 6BT 10klb truck 64k mile Bahama Blue

Contact me for CNC Dome Lamp Bezels and Ash Tray pulls.
Jacksdad
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Jacksdad »

When I pulled the heads off my FE a few years ago, there were no dowels either. First time I'd seen that in an engine that was clearly meant to have them. Eventually tracked some down at a machine shop, but the owner told me I didn't need them. Other than gluing them in place, I don't see a way to position the gaskets while you fit the heads - the angle on the deck would have them sliding off every time. I could see it maybe working if the motor was on an engine stand and could be rotated, but in the truck it would be tough. With dowels it was easy - if you consider kneeling on the motor and gently lowering two lumps of cast iron on to the block easy :o

1971 DRW F350 cab and chassis with an Open Road motorhome conversion, Dana 70, 352 (originally 390)/C6, PS, power front discs, and 159" w/b.
1guydude
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by 1guydude »

Update. I did have those guide dowels.in.
Ill look for some cracking but i think my main problem was the torqueing and sequencing. I did my intake manifold like a head. Started in the middle and worked.out.
Also
Gonna play with my torque wrench at 10 or 20lbs just to make sure im doing it right and getting the noise from the wrench i wanna hear. Id hate to take my time and put it all back together correctly to still get overheating and fluid in the cylinders :/

Gonna research the intake manifold gaskets.on the inside of the head towards the manifold. Make sure i get those right.
D
2008 bmw 528i
1967 ford f100
2014 vw tiguan
2016 kawasaki 250f
2015 KTM rc390
2014 audi tt Quatro s
Braaaaap!
Ranchero50

Post by Ranchero50 »

Just get the pressed multi layer ones from Fel Pro. Don't buy the felt ones, they suck.
'70 F-350 CS Cummins 6BT 10klb truck 64k mile Bahama Blue

Contact me for CNC Dome Lamp Bezels and Ash Tray pulls.
tnlprt
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by tnlprt »

71Fe2O3 wrote:Though I have only installed head gaskets in Subaru engines, I have torn apart some FE engines, and I recall that there is a definite orientation to the gaskets-they are either marked or shaped in ways that make it difficult to install them improperly. Missing dowel pins could allow the heads to move relative to the block, so be sure to get a set of them-Summit comes to mind as a possible source.
The fault could also be with the intake gasket, as tnlprt noted, so you should replace that as well-I think you have to remove it to get to the head gaskets on an FE anyway, and it seems that you shouldn't re-use the old one.
While you have it apart, consider doing a full rebuild. If you rebuild half of the engine, you will have problems with the other half down the road, with the eventual result being you will have to tear it apart again to get it right, costing you additional time and money compared to doing it all at once.
The FE head gasket will go on backwards and it will look like it is correct

Pretty common occurrence

The reason the gaskets are marked FRONT on 1 end

Put them on backwards and you will experience overheating
tnlprt
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by tnlprt »

Do NOT use Felpro Print O Seal intake gaskets ...they do not like antifreeze
colnago
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by colnago »

71Fe2O3 wrote:If you rebuild half of the engine, you will have problems with the other half down the road, with the eventual result being you will have to tear it apart again to get it right, costing you additional time and money compared to doing it all at once.
I was originally going to rebuild just the heads, but a friend said the same thing. Once things are tight in the top end, it will only highlight how leaky the bottom end is. It's been a PITA, and I've probably done half of it wrong, but I think I finally see light at the end of the tunnel.

Joseph
"Sugar", my 1967 Ford F250 2WD Camper Special, 352FE, Ford iron "T" Intake with 1405 Edelbrock, Duraspark II Ignition, C6 transmission, front disc brake conversion.
71Fe2O3

Post by 71Fe2O3 »

Working on engines can be frustrating-there are many steps and many places to make mistakes. Keep trying, keep learning-knowledge comes at a cost-accept and learn from your mistakes.

I have learned a lot about these engines from an engine rebuilding book written by Steve Christ-he offers a lot of detail and down-to-earth advice.
https://www.amazon.com/How-Rebuild-BIG- ... 0895860708
Fred

1970 F100 4WD short bed, 360 engine, very rusty plow and yard truck

1971 F100 2WD long bed, 302 engine, on the road

1968 F100 2WD long bed, 360 engine, stripping for parts
1guydude
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by 1guydude »

am I correct that the only places the coolant could get into the cylinder would be the head gaskets and intake manifold gaskets? My head gaskets had FRONT on em and on the front. U can flip em over and they say front on the other side as well. I just placed them so the openings were in the back and the front was blocked. So I think I got that right. My intake manifold gaskets where the heads meet up....im not sure about.
They have beads on em that im guessing face the manifold? Also they had a port blocked off on the manifold at the rear. All the openings lined up but that one on both sides in the rear. Still have to do some clean up on the manifold and tonight at work I printed some torques specs and the sequence for the heads and manifold so I have instructions! LOL.
Really hoping I get this right this time round.
-d
2008 bmw 528i
1967 ford f100
2014 vw tiguan
2016 kawasaki 250f
2015 KTM rc390
2014 audi tt Quatro s
Braaaaap!
1guydude
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by 1guydude »

is it possible my water ways and block are just rusted up?! Should I probe around in there with something long?!
Maybe I should pull my bottom radiator hose and spray my garden hose up in there?
ugh. I just don't like trying to take my time and put it all back together to have the same problem. Have I said that yet?! Lol
-d
2008 bmw 528i
1967 ford f100
2014 vw tiguan
2016 kawasaki 250f
2015 KTM rc390
2014 audi tt Quatro s
Braaaaap!