Fresh Rebuild. New Valve Cover Gasket Or Another Fix?

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

Cal2121

Fresh Rebuild. New Valve Cover Gasket Or Another Fix?

Post by Cal2121 »

I have about 100 miles on my freshly built 390 and I noticed that some oil is leaking from the rear of the passenger's side valve cover towards the back (near the transmission dip stick). I made sure the bolts are properly torqued and it's still leaking. I don't want any leaks on my "new" engine! The engine has brand new Edelbrock valve covers. He used "The Right Stuff" to mate the gaskets to the valve covers and then installed the covers.

I have a call into my engine builder, but I want to get your input as well. Is the best fix to replace the gasket and redo? I'm not opposed to putting a small amount of rtv type material between the gasket and the head, but I do not want to gob it all up. I'd rather redo the gasket if that will work. All input is welcome.
tnlprt
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Re: Fresh Rebuild. New Valve Cover Gasket Or Another Fix?

Post by tnlprt »

Make sure the leak is not coming from between the intake and the great china wall ...

I use studs on all my FE engines for the valve covers

I also use cork gaskets
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cal2121

Post by Cal2121 »

I will check, but what do you mean the "great china wall"? Sorry for not following.

Your engine looks awesome! I like the studs idea. Seems like it would also help get the gasket placed correctly.
colnago
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by colnago »

I used cork gaskets, but also gasket sealer on the surface of the heads/intake (following the recommendation of my rebuild book). I just used bolts, not studs, and I'm using aluminum covers, so the flange is pretty flat and thick. I will be firing it up this weekend or next. This is my first rebuild, so a little oil will not be my biggest concern. Maybe, like you, after I put on 1000 miles I can start looking at the little things.

Joseph.
"Sugar", my 1967 Ford F250 2WD Camper Special, 352FE, Ford iron "T" Intake with 1405 Edelbrock, Duraspark II Ignition, C6 transmission, front disc brake conversion.
tnlprt
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by tnlprt »

Cal2121 wrote:I will check, but what do you mean the "great china wall"? Sorry for not following.

Your engine looks awesome! I like the studs idea. Seems like it would also help get the gasket placed correctly.
The great china wall is the part of the block that runs from cylinder head to cylinder head at the front and rear of the block

Known to be a leak prone area

Take some brake clean and clean the area

Get a small mirror on a stick and start the engine up and check for leaks
Cal2121

Post by Cal2121 »

Got it! I will clean it all up and take a look. Thanks again.