EFI Under Bed Fuel Tank

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

donutcat

EFI Under Bed Fuel Tank

Post by donutcat »

Like title says, looking for an EFI compatible fuel tank to go under the bed on my lovey daily driver

Got a Holley Sniper on top of a Performer on the stock 360 and so far it's done pretty well, aside from being a bit grouchy about the gas tank situation. I'm still using the in-cab tank with a return line added to it and it's a bit finnicky at times. Those times being when I try to drive it under 1/4 full making the pump suck air and then having to bleed the line at the throttle body to get it going again.

So now I need not only a tank to go under the bed, I need it to also be EFI compatible. I also need it to not fill from the top as I don't feel like putting the filler in the bed and making the bed useless. We're putting the MTS 3019E in my granddad's '69 over the next couple weeks since it's side fill, fits really well in the space, and works with his 4bbl 351w, but I called them and confirmed that there's no baffles or anything inside the tank to facilitate not losing gas around corners.

If anyone is familiar with anything off the top of their head that is confirmed to work for this then that'd be great, otherwise I'm stuck browsing a bunch of different tanks and hoping that they fit based off dimensions. I don't have welder access but I'm not afraid to cut some holes in the frame to make stuff work. Any help is much appreciated.
jamesdfo

Re: EFI Under Bed Fuel Tank

Post by jamesdfo »

JoshT
Preferred User
Preferred User

Re: EFI Under Bed Fuel Tank

Post by JoshT »

Can't throw out anything I can guarantee will fit. Don't yet have my bump (parked in dad's back yard) and have never installed a rear tank in one. That said I have looked into this a bit for when I do get ready to start working on it. I'm also figuring out a similar tank install for a 86 Ranger that's being modified just a little.

So far I've settled on a BII tank for the F-100. It's a large oddly shaped 23 gallon tank that is side fill and compatible with EFI. I've also already got one that I'd originally planned to install into the Ranger, but it hung too low for me to be comfortable with ground clearance. Ground clearance will not be an issue with the 4wd F-100.

Searching around for a potential tank for the Ranger I found several EFI conversion tanks from a company called Tanks INC. For my Ranger I've settled on a 55-57 Chevy EFI conversion tank. I struggled with the idea of putting chevy parts on a ford, but it's too perfect for my application not to use. It too is side fill with the filler port in about the right location for the truck, the dimensions are great for fitting within my frame and still a decent capacity at 15 gallons. As my Ranger has a narrower frame and is a short bed, I know that this tank would also fit behind the rear axle of an F-100 like so many people do with the mustang tanks. Given the additional room, I'm fairly certain that you could also find some other tanks on that site that would fit your application. The site is also good about listing dimension for the tanks.

For filling the tank I've got a totaled 84 Ranger in the back yard that doesn't have a straight body panel on it anywhere (wrecked the hell out of it). I plan to cut the filler door assembly out of the bed and attempt to graft it into the F-100 bed. Most later model ford trucks with under body tanks also have clearance built into the bed floor for the filler neck, if necessary I'll graft this into the f-100 bed as well.

How ever you decide to go it will take custom work and you'll probably need a welder, it's something I need to get and learn to use as well.
1968 F-100 4x4 long bed - 360 FE - NP435 w/ Dana 21 - PS & PB conversion - Front Disc Swap - 265/75R16 - 1" S.L. & 2" B.L. (to be removed) - Homemade tube bumpers - Warn 8274 - Currently wearing 1970 body