Port Matching_Intake & Head Porting

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

RyansFord

Port Matching_Intake & Head Porting

Post by RyansFord »

I noticed some antifreeze in the head the morning. I plan on replacing the gasket, except it's pretty evident I'll need to pull off both heads and the manifold if I want to replace either head gasket. Since I'll be pulling off the top half anyways, I figured now is a good time to get the heads sent off for a rebuild. I would also like to make some improvements on the performance end. Here's what I can only assume are correct port measurements. I'll confirm these when I pull it apart.

Intake manifold casting #: C6AE-9425-G
I've only found one source that gives me a "rough measurement of runner size. That being: 1.75" H 1.15 W

Cylinder head casting #: C4AE-6090-G
Valves 2.02, 1.55
In port size 2.34X1.34
Ex port size 1.84X1.28

The measurements don't appear to be close in size. I'll leave the location as a different battle.
My question to the forum is, what is the runner exit size on a C6AE-9425-G intake manifold?
Has anyone found a better matching intake & head port size using stock parts?
Would I be better off pulling the whole engine out and handing it over to a reputable machinist?

I really wonder what people are thinking when they throw things together like this. I'm not sure if this is how the (428CJ) engine came from the factory. I hope it wasn't. I also hope the engineers at Ford know more than I do about turbulence and velocity. Maybe it was a cost saving measure... Either way, I'd like to make some improvements. Any help would be appreciated.
Manny
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Re: Port Matching_Intake & Head Porting

Post by Manny »

From my experience with Fe engines...... tolerances were done by the eye ball.... not the micrometer. That being said what ever heads intake you got the Fe has the most issues ever with fitment and matching. Heck even Barry Robotnick spoke of it in his book building max performance Fe engines. Since your gonna have your heads redone you can benefit from doing some gasket match, and blending them into the ports. Kits from eastwood are only like $40. Just be patient and match your ports to the gaskets. Exhaust get a good smooth up, and it will certainly help.. :D
Just another Ford fool named Dan.
The Junk that hangs around
67' F-250 highboy Camper special cross breed currently under way
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=86706
1974 Bronco 302 3 speed
1984 bronco 302 c6 35's
1994 F350 7.3 5spd dually.
woods wrote: The rust holes in my truck were a factory install (very rare).
Jacksdad
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Re: Port Matching_Intake & Head Porting

Post by Jacksdad »

Don't worry about measuring the ports. As Manny said, just put the relevant gasket (intake or exhaust) against the head, lining it up with the bolt holes. Scribe around it and open the ports to match the gaskets. Do the same on the intake manifold too, and you should be good.
1971 DRW F350 cab and chassis with an Open Road motorhome conversion, Dana 70, 352 (originally 390)/C6, PS, power front discs, and 159" w/b.