HAPPY HOLIDAYS and a TRICKY engine mount question/ opinion ...

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

SoCal250

HAPPY HOLIDAYS and a TRICKY engine mount question/ opinion ...

Post by SoCal250 »

Hello all Happy Holidays Merry Christmas and a Happy new year :thup:
I cam along way with my 69 F 250 c6 auto since i bought the truck from a guy who basically just got it running after sitting for 11 years in one of his friends driveway and posted it for sale on craiglist .I bought it and it crapped out 20 miles later , worn flywheel , gas in oil real bad , basically shot everything old and worn out, here is were Im at Rebuilt 390 with trans rebuild took aux tank out cleaned it Completly rhino lined the entire underbody
engine and trans in hood on 90 % engine stuff on like alt , steering pump , etc and ....... when i went to put the small driveline in with the carrier bearing the bolt holes were about 1/2 away from the holes in the bracket :cry: :? :eek: :cuss: :doh: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: that told me that i put the Motor mounts on the wrong side the studs are not centered on the mount there offset like 1/2" the tricky question is whats the right and left ? is it a opinion or a fact ? like hey your right headlight is out well thats the drivers side / your rear tail light is the opposite from the back of the truck inside the Cab the driver is on the left passenger on the right :? so basically my engine is 1/2 or a little more forward than it was when i took it out .

Funny LOL only thing i like it 1/2" forward its easier to access everything I can swap the mounts and it will push the engine into place were it was before or just drill new holes in the bracket that"s mounted to the frame for the carrier bearing , the difference is so small but had a big effect on that driveline Has this happend to anyone else ??????I Remember it was kinda tight back there taking those engine bolts out when i removed the engine not anymore the passenger side exaust went in easy and it was a bear taking it out whats your 2 Cents on this .......Thanks
RyansFord

Re: HAPPY HOLIDAYS and a TRICKY engine mount question/ opinion ...

Post by RyansFord »

I'm a little confused about your question... I just pulled a BB FE from my 69' F250. I can send you pics of my engine mounts tomorrow if it helps.
SoCal250

Post by SoCal250 »

Thanks for the reply the bare rubber goes to the front I had the metal side to the front and it brought the engine forward 1 " or so very easy to get to everything but in the end the small drive line with carrier bearing was not lined up with the mounting holes on the frame .
I used a hoist with hood on just enough to lift the front of engine re position the mounts and push motor back it's tighter in there now but how it was original it was better with metal side of mount facing front lots more room in the engine bay behind engine etc but that was not the way Ford did it .
Cappy424

Post by Cappy424 »

Thank you for this. I'm rebuilding my 390 in a 69 f100. Removed the mounts from the engine and realized I mixed them up. Haven't been able to find anything (even in the shop manual) that addresses right and left, till I found this post. I'd rather do it right the first time. Thanks again...