Noise From My Inside Oil Pan!!!!!!!

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

Cal2121

Noise From My Inside Oil Pan!!!!!!!

Post by Cal2121 »

390 (rebuilt with about 1,000 miles on it) FE in my 68 F250 CS. Started it up to hear a very pronounced loud tick coming from the oil pan. It's more of a loud tick rather than a knock/thud like the crank hitting the oil pan. Father in law felt the pan while it was going and said he could feel it but didn't feel as strong as he thought it would if it was the crank hitting the pan. The noise is faster with rpm, so it definitely seems like the crank is hitting something. I have a video with sound, but not sure how to upload it. Happy to text it to anyone that is willing to add their two cents. I figure we will have to pull the pan and I'm going to first talk with the engine builder that rebuilt my engine, but I'd like as much information as possible.

Craig Nine1Six-EightZeroTwo-TwoNineThirtyThree
Last edited by DuckRyder on Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Masked Phone Number - causes issues with spammers.
Bill Ramsey
Preferred User
Preferred User

Re: Noise From My Inside Oil Pan!!!!!!!

Post by Bill Ramsey »

could be the fuel pump. arm is slapping on the camshaft. remove the pump and briefly run engine and see.
1968 Highboy
1976 Highboy
1969 F250 Camper Special
1941 Dodge Power Wagon
1930 Model A Coupe (Hotrod)
1962 Fairlane 500 Sports Coupe
VW Sandrails
Honda ATC's
36' Diesel Pusher for roughing it.
DuckRyder

Post by DuckRyder »

Who built it?

I’d run it as little as possible until fixed, but you might also try pulling the plug wires one at a time (use insulated pliers, preferable one for the purpose) if it is a rod it should change sounds when you remove the plug wire on the affected cylinder.

Also a mechanics stethoscope may help (you can use a long screwdriver/prybar in a pinch.
Robert
1972 F100 Ranger XLT (445/C6/9” 3.50 Truetrac)

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -- Jeff Cooper
tnlprt
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by tnlprt »

Does it have a windage tray

Pull the dipstick out and see if the noise is still there
Cal2121

Post by Cal2121 »

Thank you for all of the input. I initially thought it may be the fuel pump, so I swapped in a new one and tried running it briefly without the fuel pump. Sound was still there.

I haven't tried checking pulling the plug wires or the dip stick. I have the Lokar dipstick and it had been running normal with it in. I wonder if its' possible for the dipstick or the dipstick housing to get hit?

I'm not sure if it has a windage tray. The stock pan was put back on by the builder when he rebuilt it. I have a call into him to get his input as well. Shoot me a text if you want to have a listen. I have a short video.

Thanks again.
farmallmta

Crazy idea here, but...

Post by farmallmta »

I mean, don't laugh if it's too ridiculous, okay, guys?

Gosh, I'm almost too embarrassed to even bring it up :oops: ... but maybe before you did the fuel pump change and the father-in-law hanging upside down on the bumper feeling the oilpan while you drive down the road at different speeds, and getting an excellent recording of the ticking sound that you could have just, I dunno, pulled the fncking aftermarket dipstick to see if that ended the noise?

I know, I know. Really idiotic troubleshooting, going for the simple and most obvious solution first. But I'm pretty bad about Occam's Razor that way. :burp:
Manny
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by Manny »

What is your hot oil pressure with a true gauge?? Do we know. Stuck open relief causing really low pressure. the 74' had 0 at hot idle and would thud not knock just thud. After a new pump and bearings its back right.. actually had the wrong bearings in it. :eek:
Just another Ford fool named Dan.
The Junk that hangs around
67' F-250 highboy Camper special cross breed currently under way
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=86706
1974 Bronco 302 3 speed
1984 bronco 302 c6 35's
1994 F350 7.3 5spd dually.
woods wrote: The rust holes in my truck were a factory install (very rare).
Cal2121

Post by Cal2121 »

I figured out the problem. It was all my doing! I didn't mention that prior to the noise developing I had lifted the engine a bit using a 4x4 at the rear of the oil pan (placed on the outside portion I thought was sufficiently strong) in order to adjust it in the engine perches (it as just a bit tilted). Prior to posting both myself and my father in law examined the oil pan, etc. and from beneath could not see or feel any noticeable indention. And we couldn't feel any noticeable crank contact at the rear of the pan when turning the engine. Anyway, doing some searches online I found another post of a Ford guy who did the exact same thing (which caused a knock) and fixed it by welding a nut to the oil pan and using a slide hammer to remove the indention. So, I took a straight edge to the oil pan and I'll be damned if it wasn't pushed up some. Welded a nut to the oil pan and pulled it down some with a slide hammer. Noise gone! Another lesson (of many) learned from working on this old truck I love.

Anyway, thank you all very much for the input. Next project is Holley Sniper EFI, which I just received from Summit!
1972hiboy
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by 1972hiboy »

aha! so it was indeed rubbing. That was some good research and execution of a plan! I will have to keep that trick in mind, when I did that on my uncles mustang I yanked the motor and pounded it out from the inside. Thanks for letting us know and glad you didn't have to go through all that work! 8) 8) :thup: :thup:
Rich
1973 f350 super c/s 460/c6 22k orig miles
1972 f350 srw crewcab special 390
1972 f250 4x4 sport custom 390fe Red
1972 f250 4x4 custom 360 FE " Ranger Ric"
1972 f250 4x4 custom 84k og miles 390
1971 f250 4x4 sport custom 56k og miles. 360
1970 f250 4x4 428 fe hp60 205 d60
Dont eat yellow snow.....
tsherry
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by tsherry »

I love happy endings.
too many Fords, no where near 'nuff time.

or, money.
popeyes71
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by popeyes71 »

Thanks for fallowing up and letting us know what it was and what you did to fix the problem! Cool trick to pull out a dent in a oil pan without going through the whole ordeal of pulling the pan. We wish you the best with your project!
-Popeye-
1971 F-250 4x4 Highboy
1966 Chevy Nova, 8 second 10.5 car