Which carb to use?

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

SMH1970

Which carb to use?

Post by SMH1970 »

Hi again - another question for the 360 experts. :?

I've almost got my old 360 refreshed and rebuilt from a combination of parts from 2 engines (heads from one, everything else from the other), and lots of new bits and pieces. I'm ready to rebuild the carburetor now. I have 2 carbs (one came with each motor) and have to decide which one I will use.

I think they are both 2100's, but I'm a little confused about what I actually have. Here are photos:
IMG_2297.jpg
IMG_2298.jpg
The one on the left is marked as Motorcraft and has 1.21 venturi size marked on the side. This carb came with the engine from another F100, and was working well when it was removed in September (the guy was swapping in a 302). It has an automatic (hot air?) choke setup, but is missing the tubes that run down to the manifold. My exhaust manifold has the inlets on them for the heat tubes, but I expect it would take a bit of work to get them rigged up. (Also, can anyone tell me what the 'valve' on the top left is?).

The one on the left is an Autolite and has 1.14 venturi size marked on it. It was the carb that was originally in my truck, and has a manual choke (cable into cab). It was also working well when I started the rebuild.

Just want some opinions as to which one would provide me with the most trouble-free driving. I'm located in Eastern Canada. Although I don't plan to drive this truck much in the winter (have a newer F150), we do get cool weather in spring and fall, so a good working choke will likely be important. My local parts dealer got me a rebuild kit (apparently both carbs use the same kit), so I'm ready top go as soon as I pick a carb to work with.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
- Steve
1970 F100 Sport Custom, 360 with 3 on-the-tree, No PS, no PB, no AC. Boxwood green / Wimbledon white.
Plans: power steering, power front disc brakes, clean and freshen from ground up.
BobbyFord
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: Which carb to use?

Post by BobbyFord »

I would use the one with the choke. You can always fabricate new heat tubes.
SMH1970

Re: Which carb to use?

Post by SMH1970 »

BobbyFord wrote:I would use the one with the choke. You can always fabricate new heat tubes.
Thanks Bobby. I figured that an automatic choke might be better than manual, but I have not had any experience with it to know if it was effective or not. I'll likely go ahead and rebuild that carb, and make up some new heat tubes for it.
- Steve
1970 F100 Sport Custom, 360 with 3 on-the-tree, No PS, no PB, no AC. Boxwood green / Wimbledon white.
Plans: power steering, power front disc brakes, clean and freshen from ground up.