Camper special fan options did they have it ...

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

SoCal250

Camper special fan options did they have it ...

Post by SoCal250 »

Hi all on my 69 C/S 390 it has a clutch fan looks like a factory fan shroud although it doesn't look like the clutch fan was original or was it? I ask due to how close it is to the engine . The fan is just away enough to be free of the shroud completely and close to the lower pully seems like the fan should at least be forward 1" or more for safety and proper cooling I know previous owner got the engine hot I had the motor rebuilt and the head gaskets were done how far away should the fan be from the engine especially that far away from the radiator I don't know how the spring will pick up the heat from the radiator ? Can you use a spacer with a clutch fan ?
Busboy
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Re: Camper special fan options did they have it ...

Post by Busboy »

I"ve always heard that the fan blades should be halfway into the fan shroud. I've never seen a fan clutch on these trucks.
1967 F-100 4x4 custom cab.
Another 67 F-100 4x4 custom cab.
2016 F-150 Eco-Boost 2.7 liter. (It will smoke the tires!)
1972 F-350 Sport Custom cab & chassis.
1972 F-250 Explorer Special, Camper Special.
1971 F-100 custom. 302, C-4, p.s. p.b. factory 65 amp alternator with transistorized voltage regulator.
DuckRyder

Post by DuckRyder »

FWIW, a clutch fan shows in this diagram.

http://www.fordification.com/tech/image ... tegral.jpg

My truck had a fan shroud and the fan was outside of the fan shroud. The spacer is marked Ford, but my truck appears to have had add on AC at some point so I do not know if the spacer is the factory one.
Robert
1972 F100 Ranger XLT (445/C6/9” 3.50 Truetrac)

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -- Jeff Cooper
Ranchero50

Post by Ranchero50 »

Super Duty cooling had larger fans. Clutch fans were used in various configurations, AC would be better with one.
'70 F-350 CS Cummins 6BT 10klb truck 64k mile Bahama Blue

Contact me for CNC Dome Lamp Bezels and Ash Tray pulls.
SoCal250

Post by SoCal250 »

It worth alot thanks for the reply it had factory a/C although the fan sits just outside the shroud i installed a new fan clutch with the spring in front i bought the truck used and did not trust the fan clutch on it ...that diagram looks justlike my set up...