Distributor recommendations

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

Jacksdad
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Distributor recommendations

Post by Jacksdad »

Slowly collecting the parts I'll need for my 351W swap, and I'm wondering what distributor/ignition everyone runs. My 352 has been using a Pertronix conversion with an Accel Supercoil for quite a few years, so I have no problem going that route again, but I want to make sure I thoroughly explore any other options (like Duraspark and HEI set ups) before I commit. Opinions, guys?
I don't want to get too spendy as my budget is pretty damned thin, so repurposed factory stuff would be my preference. I'll also be using an oval air cleaner which might cause clearance issues (although I have plenty of room for a spacer if necessary).
So, what is everyone running, and what did you need to make it work? I know I could google it but I'd rather hear real world experiences from you guys.
1971 DRW F350 cab and chassis with an Open Road motorhome conversion, Dana 70, 352 (originally 390)/C6, PS, power front discs, and 159" w/b.
RottenAppleRed

Re: Distributor recommendations

Post by RottenAppleRed »

I've always ran the factory Ford Duraspark dizzy with an MSD 6AL box...never fails.
Jacksdad
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Jacksdad »

Any particular year or part number I should look for?
1971 DRW F350 cab and chassis with an Open Road motorhome conversion, Dana 70, 352 (originally 390)/C6, PS, power front discs, and 159" w/b.
RottenAppleRed

Post by RottenAppleRed »

That would depend on roller cam or flat tappet cam. If memory serves, anything post 1975. If you are running a carburetor without all the vacuum add-ons, get one with a single vacuum advance diaphragm. I believe the roller cam Windsors, came in with the EEC-IV engine control module and they look like the 5.0 HO distributor. That setup can be used with Ford or Pro-M mass air fuel injection. At any rate, you don't have to use an MSD box, if you want to save the cash. With the std duraspark, you can use the factory Ford box and wiring. All from a '78 F100, F150, F250, Bronco or any full size Ford/Lincoln/Mercury car with a 351W.
Jacksdad
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Jacksdad »

Very much appreciated. I might head to the wrecking yard next weekend to see what I can find. It's a flat tappet cam, by the way.
RottenAppleRed

Post by RottenAppleRed »

Don't waste your time pulling the distributor or ignition module from a salvage car, unless they are immaculate and really cheap $. The only thing needed from the bone yard is the ignition wiring. You don't even need that, if you're using the MSD box. Here are a couple links to O'Reilly Auto Parts for the distributor and ignition module.

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/b/sp ... istributor

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/b/se ... ion+module
Jacksdad
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Jacksdad »

Awesome. I'll probably stick with the Duraspark module for now, but at that price, I might as well just go brand new. Thanks again :thup:
colnago
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by colnago »

I ran a Pertronix II on my 352 for years with no problems. When I rebuilt the block, I switched to a Duraspark system. I got all my stuff from RockAuto. I had to solder together a new mini-harness, but that was no biggie. Yes, I could have kept the Pertronix, but I'd been wanting to try Duraspark. I considered using an HEI, for the simplicity, but decided against it in the end.

I've recently turned into a "distributor tweaker," and I think the HEI and MSD are easier to tweak than the Duraspark. But if funds are tight, go with what you have. You can always swap it out later.

Joseph
"Sugar", my 1967 Ford F250 2WD Camper Special, 352FE, Ford iron "T" Intake with 1405 Edelbrock, Duraspark II Ignition, C6 transmission, front disc brake conversion.
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by sargentrs »

Another vote for Duraspark here. It's the first thing I do with all my vintage vehicles. It's a Ford, it wants a Ford ignition. Just my :2cents:
Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
1987 F-150 XLT Lariat, 5.0/C6 auto.
Jacksdad
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Jacksdad »

Thank you, guys. I guess that pretty much decides it. Duraspark it is :thup: