Crankshaft Pulley

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

thatoneguy

Crankshaft Pulley

Post by thatoneguy »

I went to a 1-wire alternator on my 390 and ended up having to space it out about 1/4". I was able to find shims for the water pump pulley but I am not having much luck for the crank pulley. I do not want to just put washers behind it but right now I'm not seeing much other options.

Does anyone know where I might find this?
Aaron V.
1970 Ford F100 4x4 390/4-spd
1973 Ford Maverick 302/C4
1979 Chevrolet C30 Ramp Truck 454/TH-400
1948 Chevrolet 3800 216/4-spd
1995 Jeep Cherokee 4.0/5-spd
2004 Honda Shadow 1100

"While driving yesterday I saw a banana peel in the road and instinctively swerved to avoid it…thanks Mario Kart."
RottenAppleRed

Re: Crankshaft Pulley

Post by RottenAppleRed »

if there is enough lip on the balancer to still center the pulley, after adding 1/4" of spacer, I'd say find a fab shop in the area with a laser or water jet. Take them your pulley and have them make you a ring that has the same size center hole as the pulley, with the bolt hole locations to mount it. If there isn't enough lip to still catch the pulley, you may need the the ring made out of steel and welded to the pulley, so it can still be centered on the balancer. Of course I say all this, not knowing whether or not such a thing already exists for purchase.
Eric46

Post by Eric46 »

You might try March Pulleys (link below).

https://marchperformance.com/ford/ford-fe/pulleys.html

r
Eric
1970 F-250 4x4
Mach428
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Mach428 »

I assume the new alternator was deeper than the old and hit the front of the head. I had this same issue when installing mine on my 428 Mustang. Rather than change all of the pulleys or use spacers, I simply went to a lower alternator mount bracket that positions the alternator below the upper mount point. It still uses the original long bolt but swings down low. All of the belts align perfectly
thatoneguy

Post by thatoneguy »

Mach428 wrote:I assume the new alternator was deeper than the old and hit the front of the head. I had this same issue when installing mine on my 428 Mustang. Rather than change all of the pulleys or use spacers, I simply went to a lower alternator mount bracket that positions the alternator below the upper mount point. It still uses the original long bolt but swings down low. All of the belts align perfectly
That is exactly the issue I had. I would definitely prefer not to use spacers, always makes me a little uneasy. Do you recall what alternator bracket you used? I had tried to find something different but never had any luck.
Aaron V.
1970 Ford F100 4x4 390/4-spd
1973 Ford Maverick 302/C4
1979 Chevrolet C30 Ramp Truck 454/TH-400
1948 Chevrolet 3800 216/4-spd
1995 Jeep Cherokee 4.0/5-spd
2004 Honda Shadow 1100

"While driving yesterday I saw a banana peel in the road and instinctively swerved to avoid it…thanks Mario Kart."
Mach428
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Mach428 »

I used the original bracket that was used in combination with a smog pump. It mounts the alternator low enough that the back doesn't come in contact with the head or block
bobslaven

Post by bobslaven »

thatoneguy,
Been a while since action on this thread, but I've got the same problem you had and I'm stumped. I figure you've taken care of this by now. What was your solution? Did you find another bracket that worked? If so, where? In the meantime, I'm going to try to track down a Mustang alternator bracket, see what they look like. Hope all is well, and thanks for any tips you can give.

Billy Bob