EFI engine swap questions

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

Lrush1

EFI engine swap questions

Post by Lrush1 »

I am looking to swap a 302 efi into my 67 F100,what engine do I need to look for, and out of what vehicles? I see stuff about speed density or mass air and I would like to build it a little , at least a cam. I am also contemplating a LS swap, it almost seems easier
RottenAppleRed

Re: EFI engine swap questions

Post by RottenAppleRed »

Budget is everything with an efi swap. To keep cost low, you have a couple options...a complete donor car with the full wiring or an aftermarket system that is low budget. You can take almost any engine that is carbureted and adapt an efi system to them. FITech (eff eye tech) makes a self contained unit that is affordable and easy to use for a daily driver and mild performance. Then there is the Holley setup that is very popular and operates on the GM style setup.

If you want to do a 5.0 swap, the mass air version is much better than the map sensor used on the earlier Ford efi engines. Most aftermarket units that use a divorced injector/s from the throttle body use a map sensor of some sort. I am a big fan of the Pro M mass air meter fuel injection system. They are somewhat pricey, similar to other broad spectrum units, but they handle it all. You can get a donor fox (post '89) or SN95 5.0 or 5.8 and run the Pro M as a piggy back to the factory sensors for plug and play. Or have an intake machined for injector bungs for whatever Ford V8, get a throttle body to 4 barrel adaptor elbow and buy the complete Pro M setup. I believe Pro M offers kits with machined intakes as well.

I originally set out to install a 5.0 from a 2000 Mercury Mountaineer in my '72 LWB. The plan was to remove the cam sensor and coil packs and install a mustang 5.0 distributor and a Pro M injection unit. I would already have the GT40P heads and larger throttle body. Then I stuffed the Cleveland from my '70 Cougar XR7 in the truck and now I can't decide to build a Cleveland for Rotten Apple Red with a Pro M setup or take the easy way and continue with the Mounty 5.0.

The best thing for you to do is evaluate your funds, planned use for the truck and whether it's a project you are doing or hiring out. Then you can put together a plan on parts and direction. Good luck.