FoMoCo.com gone!

General Discussion Topic Archives
68F250
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

FoMoCo.com gone!

Post by 68F250 »

Don't know if anyone's noticed but the great Mr. F, Allen Cross sites are gone, seized by the Ford trademark attorneys. That means FoMoCo Obsolete is out of business and the Mustang & FE forums gone. What a shame but it was inevitable. Wonder if he is gonna have to change his eBay name too? Keith, I hope there's nothing here that's in violation. :eek:
Barry

"Are you gonna make it all 220?"
"Yeah 220, 221, whatever it takes."
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

re: FoMoCo.com gone!

Post by FORDification »

Yeah, I was wondering when/if that was going to happen. To be honest with you, I'm not entirely sure whether 'fordification' could be classified as copyright or trademark infringement, but I've never heard a thing from anyone saying that it was, or might be. :hmm: I might have to do some poking around and see what I can find out, but I've heard (second- or third-hand) that they're not as apt to pounce on non-profit organizations as those making money from the company name. And I'm definitely not making any money at this...it's purely a hobby.

*heavy sigh* I suppose I should come up with an alternate domain name and have a mirror site there as well, just in case. As most of you know, I also have an Oldsmobile-related site at OLDSmobility.com, so if you notice that 'fordification.com' disappears, check there first for updates....I'll be sure to post something on the site's front page about where things will go.

It'll really tick me off if they decide to seize this domain....after everything I've done to promote it. I can have the site back up and running within a day or two under a new domain name, but that's not the point. I'll be starting from the bottom again as far as getting the site recognized by the search engines, and the many places all over the internet that this site is linked from will obviously have to get updated. PLUS the thousands of images on this site with the 'FORDification.com' logo on it, all of which would have to be changed. :eek:

To a certain extent I understand the position Ford is in, regarding their protecting the name and assets. However, I also believe their methods are a little over the top, and the bad PR they're getting from hitting the little guys isn't going to win them any friends. It just seems to me that they're biting the hand that feeds them in many instances, and hurting the hobby in general.

Oh well....

Well, I'll definitely be giving this some thought over the next few days, and will try to come up with a new domain name that can be registered to serve as a backup, just in case I'm the next in line.
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
'67 F-100 2WD SWB ~ '69 F-100 4WD SWB w/7" chop ~ 1975 F-250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
-> Posting and you! <-a MUST watch for all!!
390Nut
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Re: re: FoMoCo.com gone!

Post by 390Nut »

FORDification wrote: To a certain extent I understand the position Ford is in, regarding their protecting the name and assets. However, I also believe their methods are a little over the top, and the bad PR they're getting from hitting the little guys isn't going to win them any friends. It just seems to me that they're biting the hand that feeds them in many instances, and hurting the hobby in general.
That last sentence in particular is hitting the nail on the head.

You'ld think they would WANT the publicity, which isn't costing them a penny.

Maybe it's time to invest in some non-Ford import stuff, (in other words, no Mazda) and send them a letter telling them why I did so. Enough people did that, maybe they would get the hint.

Yeah right, who am I kidding...

:roll:

It's too bad Mr. Advertisement didn't get shut down :fte:
Paul
`69 F100 390 4spd driver
http://www.fordification.com/galleries/ ... ?cat=10251
Dura-Spark II Conversion info at:
http://home.comcast.net/~390nut/Dura-SparkII.htm

Pipes71 did once say, "bumps and bikes.. what a great combo!" :thup:
hutch1973

Post by hutch1973 »

I could see fomoco being an easy target since it's what they have stamped on a good chunk of their parts, and obviously trademarked. It would be easy to take that to court and win, as opposed to fordification. The second I see fordification on some of these truck castings, I'd worry, but until then...
Bumpless for now...
71 LONG BED
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by 71 LONG BED »

:yt:
John Member #1549
71 F100 Sport Custom__________1967 F350 Gone, but not forgotten
Image Image Image
390Nut
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by 390Nut »

If that's the case, then they need to shut down every ebay seller that sells NOS FORD OEM parts without Ford's permission, as they are ALSO infringing on Fords trademark. For that matter, so are we, every time we sell a Ford part, whether or not we do it "for profit".

I know it's a matter of semantics, but something tells me there's something bigger going on behind the scenes. Allen Cross used to work for Ford, if I remember correctly. Might be mistaken, however.
Paul
`69 F100 390 4spd driver
http://www.fordification.com/galleries/ ... ?cat=10251
Dura-Spark II Conversion info at:
http://home.comcast.net/~390nut/Dura-SparkII.htm

Pipes71 did once say, "bumps and bikes.. what a great combo!" :thup:
hutch1973

Post by hutch1973 »

Well if they chomp down on this domain name, may I suggest www.pleasedontsuemeford.com...it's available.
Bumpless for now...
68F250
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by 68F250 »

390Nut wrote:If that's the case, then they need to shut down every ebay seller that sells NOS FORD OEM parts without Ford's permission, as they are ALSO infringing on Fords trademark. For that matter, so are we, every time we sell a Ford part, whether or not we do it "for profit".
Not really, reselling ford parts is not restricted or illegal. You just can't call yourself Ford or anything with Ford in it.

Keith, I believe it's a trademark infringement, sorry about that. :( Maybe they're just going after the bigger players and the one's for profit. Remember the big VW internet fiasco a while ago?
Barry

"Are you gonna make it all 220?"
"Yeah 220, 221, whatever it takes."
hutch1973

Post by hutch1973 »

I don't really think it's infringement the way I've seen it defined in internet/domain cases. The most common definition I've found (I'm bored in a hotel room and this is interesting) is the following:

Definitions of Trademark Infringement on the Web:
A trademark registration is infringed by the unauthorized use of the registered trademark, or of one that is confusingly similar to it, on the registered goods or services, or in certain circumstances on similar or dissimilar goods and services.

This, occurs when a company uses the trademark of another company, which may result in confusion or deception of consumers.

With fomoco, it's a no brainer to that definition. I highly doubt anyone could mistake fordification with the Ford Motor Company. If you're that worried, right next to the I'M CENSORED link on the front page, put a disclaimer that this site is not attributed or linked to the Ford Motor Company blah, blah blah. Ford can't go after a domain just because the word Ford is in it. Do a google search on "ford .com" and look at all the links that come up. (I went to page 27 of the results, still no Fordification, although that "other" site came up)
Bumpless for now...
Joe Kriston
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Joe Kriston »

hutch1973 wrote:I could see fomoco being an easy target since it's what they have stamped on a good chunk of their parts, and obviously trademarked.
Yeah,I checked my old mirrors to make sure they were genuine and they had the FoMoCo stamp on the back...Wonder why some places they used the oval "FORD" and others FoMoCo?....

I think 'Fordification' sounds and looks a lot more like the word 'fortification' than the word 'Ford'...But you never know...
This is the point...I'm....talking about everybody! I'm talking about form! I'm talking about content! I'm talking about interrelationships! I'm talking about God, the devil, hell, heaven!!!! Do you understand???? Finally!!!!
binder56jd
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by binder56jd »

"Sell crazy someplace else. We're all stocked up here" — Jack Nicholson, As Good As it Gets

now serving #235

"the only way to believe in the American dream is to be asleep"--GC

How much easier it is to be critical than to be correct. - Benjamin Disraeli
cooltoolguy

Post by cooltoolguy »

I'm not surprised to hear ford is going after people too. i puruse the chevy forums and know gm has gone after several sites and shut them down. its not just here but all over the place. I cant believe that a company as large as ford or chevy would worry so much about us, you would think as in as much dire straits these companies are in they would try to promote the hobby and interest in their products. Its not as tho Keith is going to start building Fordification vehicles in his garage and put ford out of business tomorrow!! thats my rant. now i'm going to go buy a toyota, not
72 Ford F-350, 2WD, 4 speed 360, Dump truck
76 Ford F-350, 2WD, Cab and Chassis <--gone
71 LONG BED
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by 71 LONG BED »

If the letters F, O, R,AND D can not be used in that order, then there is a lot of people who need to change their name. A lot of towns that need to change their name. A lot of businesses need to... You get the idea. What if Keiths last name was Ford and the site name was based on that? Oops I used the "F" word, I hope F$%D was listening! I think Keith is O.K.. If something happens I'll be shocked. :eek: :x
John Member #1549
71 F100 Sport Custom__________1967 F350 Gone, but not forgotten
Image Image Image
willowbilly3
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by willowbilly3 »

I guess they went after Obsolete Ford parts after many years of Fords blessing in serving a segement that they no longer covered. I also remember back in the 80s when Harley Davidson decided you had to have their permission to use their name. Not really so out of line, they just got tired of people using their name to sell junk.
I had a friend a few years back that had managed a Polaris dealership and then got sideways so he opened an independant snowmobile shop and called it Polaris. They had a fit but he reminded them that it was the name of one of the moons of Jupter or something and they never did do anything to him legally.
I don't think there is anything about this site that would ruffle Ford corporate but if there was they could take us out even if we are right just because we wouldn't have the resources to fight back The biggest thing might be some copyright infringement for reproducing the old literature, but since it isn't for profit that probably isn't an issue either.
Great ideas have always encounter violent opposition from mediocre minds.
kentdaryl

Post by kentdaryl »

THEY AINT GETTIN MY T-SHIRT!!!